Thread: Location vs. Strings, everything seems backwards

Post Thanks / Like

Default Location vs. Strings, everything seems backwards

Just added a megatree and nothing displays properly in preview unless I choose locations. One would think strings would be the proper alignment. I ran some text in default mode (strings) and it flowed from top to bottom. Other than it was not from left to right, it looked good, really good. When I change the orientation, it looks like crap. Pinwheels are horrible unless in location. Take the same effect on my grid and strings works better (with some offset adjustment needed sometimes). Would it not make sense that trees should be strings and grids are locations?
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Location vs. Strings, everything seems backwards

no. location is how people will perceive an effect and propogates across strings. string effects are applied linearly and dot take into account how the strings are oriented.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

To put martins thought into other words, the strings mode uses the hierarchy of the element tree to build the effects. While locations uses the coordinates of the pixels in the preview. The coordinates of the pixels often donít even remotely correspond to how the elements are laid out in groups. Take a starburst or snowflake for example where each subgroup is usually an arm and the pixels inside of those subgroups usually radiate from the center. In strings mode that results in nothing like a regular grid. Well itís kinda like a grid, but itís one wrapped around a center point.
    Its two distinct mechanisms to apply the effect logic and both make sense at different times. In fact, the same effect can be made to look very different in each mode. That can often be desirable. Take the text effect on that starburst from earlier. In strings mode the text would wrap around the center. In locations mode the text would go horizontal across the prop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't get is why the default settings of the tree are not plug n play? It just so happens the tree I'm making is exactly what pops up when you draw one in preview setup. There is one exception, I have to change it from 360 to 180. Is that why it's giving me grief? I did some testing by pasting a string of sequence from the grid into the megatree and that is when the text flowed smoothly, but from top to bottom. CanCan.jpg
    Did the same on another only I used the right vertical column, the pinwheel was dead center with the Locations setting. Carol.jpgCarol 2JPG.JPG
    Last edited by TomsLEDs; 08-01-2021 at 01:36 PM.
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

On a standard mega tree with vertical strings, all the effects should behave as you would expect since that is essentially a matrix that is squeezed together at the top. It is hard to tell what is going on from those images. Can you post some more info of how the strings are laid out in the tree by capturing parts of the expanded tree in display setup or preview. When you are in the preview and select each string of the tree, do they start at the left and increment to the right? Is pixel one at the bottom left when you select it in the preview?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I began selecting individual strings for screen shots and it was backwards. So I looked at the properties listing and it had reverted back to 360; originally setup for 180. Had this happen last year when I brought in a reconfigured prop that was still listed in a group that I forgot about. I guess when you delete only the prop in the main directory, the groups with that name in it remain. So the new Megatree became a -1. The properties must revert to default when this happens.

That was it because I can now use strings or Locations to display text on the tree. Only problem now is the text moves too fast from left to right even with Iterations at 1. How do I slow it down?

Never mind, I just had to stretch it accross move time on the timeline.
    Last edited by TomsLEDs; 08-05-2021 at 01:36 AM.
    Love LEDs!