Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LED color change even in pause (Vixen)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LED color change even in pause (Vixen)

mr fix

I had enough other strips to test.
    So, with as many strips I redid all the wiring with other cables, keeping the power supply separate from the data. unfortunately the problem persists.

I ran out of current possibilities.
    If it is not interference from the cables, if the V- is in place, the LEDs are not damaged, the program I really don't think it will interfere ... do I have to insert other power supplies?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gb70 View Post
    Hi Martin,

I don't know if it can be useful to you
    I put some short clips in my drobpbox and shared the link

the problem seems generic, it is not on a string but on almost all.
    I noticed that even if the pixels have no data they light up randomly ...
    if I set effects with only one color, some pixels go crazy and change color ...
    I have no intensity variations

thank you
    I must have missed a link. I do not see anything beyond the link to another chat.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Lets ask this question. If you make all strings white and set the intensity to on (all channels full on) are all of the pixels White or are some of them dimmer and with a color shift towards pink?

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin,

on static white good or bad all the LEDs are white, I have not noticed a voltage drop; only with gradual start-up does n ° 8 have some initial problems.

just to be sure, I'll just put the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tnf2el5o2...VM12PoUFa?dl=0
    Last edited by gb70; 07-31-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The white looks very much like a power injection issue. I inject every 25 pixels. In this case, since you have each tree on a single PSU, When you inject at 51 you should be sending V+ into both parts of the wire (Inject to 50 and 51) and add an injection point at the end of the string as well. You cant over inject but you CAN under-inject.

The flickering in the green/red blue shot looks like a classic case of not following this rule: Where goes data, so go V-. I am betting you do not have a good V- going from the controller to the first pixel. At your power injection point, data goes from 50 to 51. V- has a wire from 50 another from 51 and another from the PSU. V+ has a wire from 50, another from 51 and a wire from the PSU. If you have a single PSU driving the entire tree then there is no need to isolate the sections.

If you had multiple PSUs then I would inject from one PSU at pixel 25 (just like described above except 50 = 25 and 51 = 26) and from the other PSU at pixel 75 and cut the V+ between 50 and 51. That way there are no more than 25 pixels between the power entry point and the last pixel drawing power from that entry point.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 07-31-2021 at 05:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The white (pinkish) is just a camera angle issue? I suspect in person and looking directly at the leds, they are white. All the reds line up at certain angles and reflect the red into the camera. I had that anomaly with my video and in person.

I couldn't make direct comparisons on the videos but is bottom left tree pretty stable? It looks like it has a lot less flicker than the trees in middle top.

I think the issue is ground from the controller. Even though the ground of the controller is connected to the PSU and the strings are also connected to the PSU, the ground reference at the pixel is bad causing the data to change. The one thing that bothers me about that is that the data is changing when the data is paused. It should just retain whatever value it has.

Anyway, my suggestion is to find ground on the controller and connect it with data at the same place. If I understand your pictures and layout, take the ground wire off the controller, nick the insulation on the ground wire running to the strings and attach near where the data line is connected and see if that clears up that prop. Just need to do it with one prop at a time for test.

BTW, I really like your trees, making the tree green and the star yellow makes them much more interesting in the daytime and will have minimal effect at night. They look great.

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning,

@MikeKrebs ... yes, actually the green color with yellow star, I thought it for the day, it disturbs the eye less and is more uniform with the garden.
    I tried to put the GND close to the data but the problem is not solved.

@MartinMueller2003 ... yes you are right from pixel 60 onwards white has a color shift towards pink
    I did further tests and if I leave only the first three trees connected, everything works without color change, when I start to connect the fourth tree I start having problems and with 5 trees I have the actual color change of the pixels (even in pause ).
    So as you said it should be a string feeding problem. Today I try to power injection also at the end of the string, at most I will make interruptions every 25 pixels.
    For now I try with my power supply which is 60A, it should be enough for 1000 leds, or do you say that it is better to have a pair with less Amperč?

thank you very much
    Graziano

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished doing the power injection test at the end of the strips. I didn't solve anything.
    I'm going to have to try multiple PSUs (I have to buy), Martin, sorry, I didn't understand very well how to isolate sections with multiple PSUs.

could it be such a thing?
    sketch.jpg
    Last edited by gb70; 08-01-2021 at 08:22 AM. Reason: added image

Post Thanks / Like

your picture clearly shows that you have made a grave error. the data wire from the esp to the first pixel should have a v- running from the esp to the first pixel as well. they should be a pair of wires data and v- traveling together. where goes data, so goes v-. it is always a pair of wires. same for the injection points and the wire between trees. it is always data and v- between any two points. tying v- at the psu does no harm but it does no good either.

Post Thanks / Like

In simple terms. On your picture add a black wire the is attached to your data wire. That new wire is attached to V- at the esp and to V- at the first pixel.

Next observations:
    • You seem to be using the output of the ESP gpio directly. The ESP can drive a wire up to 10cm long before the signal gets corrupted. You need to add a buffer / driver at the ESP if the wire is longer than 10cm.
    • You seem to think that putting Vixen in pause has something to do with the data being sent to the Lights. That is incorrect. When Vixen is not playing, Vixen sends "OFF" to to each pixel over and over. So data is always flowing. If vixen stops sending data (aka you shut down the Vixen application) then the controllers are STILL sending data. Usually the last thing sent to them but often they revert to sending off over and over.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast