Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5v WS2811 pixels flickering after power injection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5v WS2811 pixels flickering after power injection

Here is the guideline: "Where goes data, so goes V-". That means you should have a wire PAIR between EVERY star. In that wire pair you have V- and data from the data source connected to the V- and data at the destination pixel. That means the first pixel on each star has the following connections:

V- from data source, V- from PSU and V- from pixel
    V+ from PSU and V+ from first pixel
    Data out from data source and data in on first pixel.

The way you have it wired makes the connection between the two power domains Super noise sensitive (almost unusable) and the connections between the other stars VERY sensitive to the load on the pixels.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

I recently got a meter to gauge how much noise my data lines can take, by accident. I wired two data lines together for two props using 2-channel speaker wire. The props' 5v power/grounds were the same. When I first wired and tested only the first prop, the second one started working, too, and was playing exactly the same sequence as the first. That line of speaker wire was left completely open:. there was no data going in. The crosstalk alone was enough to drive the second. When I connected the second data line, the second prop worked and was playing its own thing.

I left it that way. They were working, and if one of the data lines ever really did open up, that was a graceful failure.
    Last edited by 1pet2_9; 12-03-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have double checked ground connection and added D- at the end of the strings but still not work, noise at last strings still the same. I am starting to think it is because of “cheap” pixels. A SP105E (Bluetooth controller) was tested too and problem was the same. Problems appears more often when bright is low. If I set effect to full white noise disappears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the PWM frequency is too low.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know how to set it up from f16v4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1pet2_9 View Post
    Sounds like the PWM frequency is too low.
    pixels use pwm internally and you cant adjust it. controllers send out a data stream at a fixed data rate that you also cant control.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses since I last checked this. Since then, I have added a bunch more props; up to ~6k pixels or so. I changed my prop building to reflect the guidance given here: Ground + data connections between all the props and the controllers; instead of connecting just data, the signal wires carry both of them now. I still only carry DC+ through power injection (never more than 50 pixels away from power), but all of the flickering issues have gone away... except in the props I originally wrote about because I haven't changed the wiring for them (too lazy).

Generally, I only have problems with those props if they're at the end of a controller port data line; say I have three stars in a row, the one furthest downstream from the controller will have flickering issues. I verified that it wasn't the props or cables by switching things around; it's always the furthest one from the controller. I was able to mitigate this by connecting a DC- only connection between the first 3 and second 3 stars from a port, thereby bridging the negative between two power distribution board port (each port from the power distribution board can only run 3 stars, each port on the controller can run at least 6). I still get occasional flickers, but it's very rare now so I'm not worried about it.

thanks to all for your guidance, it has proven very effective with my light show!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12