Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIGWDF Chat Room

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIGWDF Chat Room

A chat room has been a popular feature here at DIYC in the past, but it's been absent for a while. Hopefully, DIGWDF has a solution that may work out well and Macrosill has given me permission to post this notice.

I've set up a chat room at digwdf.org where I still have the old store running (but not selling product) on a server I have here. The store is essentially dormant and the server has only one other site on it (seniorchoir.org -- essentially a repository of rehearsal recordings for my church choir), which is essentially dormant as well. Therefore, the server has lots of bandwidth available as it essentially has nothing to do.

Presently, I've set up three "rooms" on it: one for DIGWDF (blue), one for diychristmas.org (green) and one for doityourselfchristmas.com (red). Because there's overlap with former DIGWDF customers and members of both the red and green sites, anybody that logs into it can use any of the rooms, but I thought it might be a good idea to provide different areas in case some users may prefer that. Use of the chat room is FREE to all members both here and at diychristmas.org (the green site), the only two places it will be advertised.

Because the chat room is stand-alone and has its own database, it's not linked to any external system -- logging into the forum does not automatically get you in. This means that it has an open-registration and you can register yourself ("Guest" usage is turned off, so you do need to register). The URL is here: http://digwdf.org/chat

chat_signin.png

If you're interested in taking a look, use the underlined "register" option at the login menu, open your own account and look around. There are only a few posts in it that we made during testing, and it's a rather stock, bare-bones chat room. However, the software works well with desktops, tablets and phones, which is nice, too. Since there's not much overhead in the software, it runs pretty lean and quick. It doesn't have any photo uploading or file sharing features, but if this idea turns out to be really popular, I could certainly upgrade it and provide a whole lot more functionality like that -- again, at no cost to users.

Since I'm posting this on April Fools Day, some of you may think this is a joke. It's not. It's an honest attempt to get and keep people talking about this wonderful blinky-flashy hobby, get to know one another better and just plain have some fun.

Hope to see you there sometime!
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 04-01-2021 at 04:58 PM.

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for almost three years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIGWDF Chat Room

Thanks dirknerkle. Nice of you to offer this option.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we will have to see whether it takes off or not. I can remember a time when there might have been 20 people in chat, usually after dinnertime, but it was an active place for folks to discuss methods of dealing with windows, siding, mounting things on brick or stucco, solving wiring problems, getting serial connections to work -- all manner of stuff. It was animated and just logging in and watching and learning from the chatter was fun -- you didn't even have to add anything to the conversation. People would always welcome you to the room and after a few hellos, the conversation would resume.

It doesn't cost me anything to put it together -- I've got the bandwidth and equipment to host it, so I might as well give it a try. Never hurts to try!

Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for almost three years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been almost 3 months of operation and after checking the chat room log, I have to say, there's almost zero interest.

Of course, it's summer and most DIY'ers are not thinking blinky-flashy right now, but it just goes to show that "it ain't like it used to be..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    ... but it just goes to show that "it ain't like it used to be..."
    No kidding!
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for fun, I checked in at the digwdf chat room tonite... I was the last post back in early Feb... the one before that was mid-December 2021...

Looks like the concept of the forum having a chat room is pretty much dead.

That's okay with me -- it cost me nothing to set it up, costs virtually nothing to keep it running.... so whoopee...

It was an interesting test.

Post Thanks / Like

You know... the rub is that there are so many venues now for interaction and there is only so much time in the day !

Just for fun, I checked in at the digwdf chat room tonite... I was the last post back in early Feb... the one before that was mid-December 2021...

Looks like the concept of the forum having a chat room is pretty much dead.

That's okay with me -- it cost me nothing to set it up, costs virtually nothing to keep it running.... so whoopee...

It was an interesting test.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    You know... the rub is that there are so many venues now for interaction and there is only so much time in the day !
    This is most certainly true, David. And I think that a lot of the chat conversations of the past revolved around hardware, and much of that has been replaced with pre-assembled gear that, while not exactly plug-n-play, is at least "pluggable" to some capacity, bypassing any user-assembly other than putting it in a box of one kind or another. It seems to me that the lion's share of topics these days involve power injection.

What happened to diy'ers who designed and created their own props? Wire frames? Wood, plastic, or foam? Where are they? Where did they go? Has Boscoyo, Gilbert and HC completely replaced individual creatiivity with pre-fab coroplast?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope!
    I actually broke down and bought a welder, welding table, gloves, helmet and other tools.
    I have never welded a thing before in my life and am anxious to get started this summer, once I run a dedicated 240v circuit.
    I already bought a few hundred feet of 1/4" steel rod and some 1/4" plate to make a couple of tree toppers.
    Believe it or not, it is actually cheaper for me to make things with rod than using coroplast.
    This may be changing since there are vendors now in Canada, but the best part of this hobby is still being able to say I MADE THAT!.
    I still have more fun actually soldering the boards than creating sequences. I don't see this changing.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

This is most certainly true, David. And I think that a lot of the chat conversations of the past revolved around hardware, and much of that has been replaced with pre-assembled gear that, while not exactly plug-n-play, is at least "pluggable" to some capacity, bypassing any user-assembly other than putting it in a box of one kind or another. It seems to me that the lion's share of topics these days involve power injection.

What happened to diy'ers who designed and created their own props? Wire frames? Wood, plastic, or foam? Where are they? Where did they go? Has Boscoyo, Gilbert and HC completely replaced individual creatiivity with pre-fab coroplast?
    I think you can thank the 3d printer for some of this. I fabricate my own props and I have worn out a 3d printer creating stuff. I purchased a set of singing faces but that is about it for props. My tree toppers are printed, clamps clips covers even boxes are printed.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast