Thread: icicle text

Post Thanks / Like

Default icicle text

I have read in older posts (vixen 2 and previous) that vixen sees icicles upside down. I was wondering if this is still the same for vixen 3. The reason I ask is that, if I put a text on the icicles, it is upside down, however, if I use a "wipe" from the top down on a single icicle, it goes top down. So, why is the text upside down??

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: icicle text

You will probably find that you need to select the Text as a location based effect in the effect editor. String setup - positioning - location. The wipe effect is automatically location based.

With String based effects Vixen reacts depending on how the element is drawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bretheron View Post
    You will probably find that you need to select the Text as a location based effect in the effect editor. String setup - positioning - location. The wipe effect is automatically location based.

With String based effects Vixen reacts depending on how the element is drawn.
    Thank-you for the info, but I'm afraid I do not what you mean.

How do I make the text as a location based effect?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

In the effect editor String setup selection. Change the positioning to locations.
    Vixen Text.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

ahhh, thank-you

Post Thanks / Like

I tried using locations, but it does not work.
    It creates the text, in the correct orientation, but a MUCH larger version. My icicles are all 8 pixels high, and the text is (best guess) 50 or 60 pixels high. I only see the lowest part of the letters.

Capture.JPG

I tried making the font smaller, as well as moving the "scale font" as well as the vertical position all move the text upwards "higher" than my pixels.

I still don't understand why vixen put the text in backwards to start with.

santa.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're really going to struggle with getting text to look good on icicles that are 8 pixels in height. With that having been said, I believe it's backwards for you based upon how you drew the icicles on the preview. Which ever direction you went when putting them on the preview, try dragging it the other way and see if it's facing the correct direction.

Post Thanks / Like

The original icicles were intended to model the traditional icicle lights that have varying length icicles. They have pixel one at the top instead of the bottom because the top is flat part of the virtual grid. The bottoms are uneven. Because pixel one is at the top all of the effects are upside down. This is generally not a problem with the icicles as most people are not using it for text. Text generally will not look that good on them so there is not been much point to trying to change their behavior. If they are on a level part of the house, and they are all the same length you could model them with the pixel grid and then the text will be right side up.