Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hemera Direct Drive and Hot End

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hemera Direct Drive and Hot End

Well, it got delivered. I have the duct and mount printed, and I've taken the Ender5 apart. After a couple mods I think I have the layout for the mount settled. There is absolutely no room for error with the drive mount screws. Maybe a millimeter or a little less. I'll have to grind one of them down because the fourth screw hole wasn't designed into the mount as it would require drilling the Creality carriage. Well, I drilled the carriage because I wanted all 4 mount screws. The screws attach to a slip in nut with very little clearance. I'm so glad Dawn got me a digital caliper.

This was the first step. I'm guessing I'll be taking the carriage apart at least a dozen times before I settle on the best approach. I've seen one of these in action, and I'm really looking forward to the first print. I'll be posting pictures as I get things assembled.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hemera Direct Drive and Hot End

What is the purpose?
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    What is the purpose?
    Direct drive extruder and hot end combined. Stringing has been a nightmare with the original extruder.

It's mounted on the carriage now, and partially assembled. I stopped earlier today to do some research on the firmware. Several things have to be changed. And I lost at least 5mm on the bed size as the motor hits before it reaches the stop switch. I moved the x-axis switch from the factory threaded screw hole to a T nut to solve that, but I think that needs to be set in the firmware. There's also motor current settings. I'll cover whatever I had to do when I get to it.

But here's what's done so far. The Motor is mounted, the cooling fan is hanging, Hot end is assembled but not the heat source. Also the X-axis switch is moved a little under 5mm in, onto a T nut.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Millard; 03-13-2021 at 06:03 PM.
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Jeff . Did you find a guide for reference to this mod ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Looks great Jeff . Did you find a guide for reference to this mod ?
    Thanks Richard. I did not. I'm taking direction from a co-worker who built the same for his son a couple weeks ago. There is pretty decent information on Reddit just searching "Ender5 Hemera" but I haven't seen this particular mount and fan so far. And, I'm having trouble finding a print of a mount for the brass fitting for the PFTE tube. For now I think I'll just disassemble the Creality Extruder and just use the top plate and a couple T nuts to mount it to the rail. I serves no other purpose than to guide the filament to the Hemera Extruder. They only included about 4" of tube. I'm snaking it back to the original location due to the reel roller being right there.

Here's the update. Today was supposed to be study day. I'm taking a boat safety test tomorrow, so this has been happening in between cram sessions.
    Everything is assembled for the carriage and print head. After power up, you have to heat the hot end to 285c and seat the nozzle and supply tube otherwise it will leak so that's all that's left for the head. Every single wire has to be extended to reach but the hot end supply. So I've decided the little plastic connectors are going away so it's not so crowded on the way to the electronics box. I printed a cover to hide the wires, and I'll print some clips to dress everything up. I'm really liking this upgrade. (As long as I don't screw it up...)

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Had to work from home yesterday, so during breaks I did a little 3D work and settled the tube end mount issue. I couldnít find anything I liked on Thingiverse, but the suggestion to heat a bolt with a heat gun to make the threads worked perfectly. A metric bolt from the TV bracket leftovers is the same as the brass tube end. So I printed a mount on the Ender3 and used two #3 bolts and t-nuts to hang it.

Everything is wired now. The next step is to study the firmware and set the current limit for the Extruder stepper. On the Creality board itís a small pot, so thereís no firmware setting. I still havenít decided if Iím using the original board, or upgrading to the BigTreeTech replacement and touch screen. More later.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

My lovely wife. She heard me say I really wish I had the same board and monitor as I put in the Ender3. She went back in the Amazon orders and reordered both and also added the BLTouch. It all came Saturday night just as I started to work on the motor current setting. So the build took a left turn. Replacing original Creality boards with BigTreeTech SKR Mini E3 V2.0 and TFT E3 V3.0 touch screen. I printed a new case for the touch screen. I've got to rip out the electronics case and cut a new hole for the monitor ribbon cable. I really am not worthy of her, but I am thankful for her. Pictures to follow.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Millard View Post
    My lovely wife. She heard me say I really wish I had the same board and monitor as I put in the Ender3. She went back in the Amazon orders and reordered both and also added the BLTouch. It all came Saturday night just as I started to work on the motor current setting. So the build took a left turn. Replacing original Creality boards with BigTreeTech SKR Mini E3 V2.0 and TFT E3 V3.0 touch screen. I printed a new case for the touch screen. I've got to rip out the electronics case and cut a new hole for the monitor ribbon cable. I really am not worthy of her, but I am thankful for her. Pictures to follow.

Jeff
    She is definitely a keeper!
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

New Control Board is installed, BLTouch is mounted, case printed for the Touch Screen, and those are installed. Here's first power up since disassembly. Tomorrow I have a date with Marlin Firmware and some calibration prints. Almost there.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

First day spent downloading and installing then editing settings for an Ender3 as that's all I have to work with so far. The BLTouch is connected and starts up. This is all new to me and a tad bit out of my comfort zone. There are a few things that have to be set up for the Hemera and the BLTouch, that I'm not totally sure of. But I've found two youtubes that seem to help. Once I'm sure I've set it good enough to not damage anything, I'll compile it and install it on the printer. I need to set new parameters for bed size, as I lost about 8mm on the right and 20mm towards the back. If I take 20mm off of the brackets that connect the top frame I'll get that real estate back on the print bed. I intended to make a how to, but there was just so much getting to this point I forgot to document some of it.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast