Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I control 6 WS2812B Light Strips that are in different locations

Post Thanks / Like

Default How can I control 6 WS2812B Light Strips that are in different locations

How can I control WS2812B Light Strips that are in different locations, I have back yard setup with a pool, Gazebo, Deck, and so on
    the Gazebo has 3 WS2812B 16.4 ft Strips (900 Pixels) outlining the interior, the Deck has 4 WS2812B 16.4 ft Strips (1200 Pixels) outlining
    the underside, the Bar has a WS2812B 3 ft Strip (144 Pixels) under the bar top. the BBQ Gazebo has 1 WS2812B 16.4 ft Strips (300 Pixels)
    outlining the interior.

anyway I was thinking about using the ESP8266 Mini D1 WiFi Module to link them together so that they all are in sync
    when playing music, or just doing a light show, or a romantic color.

I picked up this controller and I was wondering is I can
    use the Arduino to to get the DATA out and transmit it to other light strips.

I know the Arduino uses WLED but this controller is Alexa /google compatible and it has a mic to pickup music to control the lights.

any thoughts, Ideas or suggestions?

Also I was thinking about my Malibu yard lights. I wonder if i can make the 10 Watt RGB Individually addressable through WiFi?

I know that these are powered by a 12 volt AC Transformer but I can put in a bridge rectifier to change it to DC.
    they may already have RGB Malibu Lights that have that circuit in it. Just an Idea....
    Last edited by 2k05gt; 03-05-2021 at 01:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How can I control 6 WS2812B Light Strips that are in different locations

I would use ESP32 modules with built in SD card readers for all of the strips. Then use ESPixelStick V4 (aka Unify) software. With that combination you have Alexa/Google/FPP support for 1000 pixels per board and you are show ready.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How can I control 6 WS2812B Light Strips that are in different locations

I can only find this card ESP32 LoRa SD Card

or This one ESP32 ESP-WROOM-32 SD Card

ESPPixelStick-Master ??

in the Readme for ESPPixleStick, it says to use a Forkineye ESPixelStick - Wireless DMX Pixel Controller Kit with the ESP8266
    Last edited by 2k05gt; 03-05-2021 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The software is at: https://github.com/forkineye/ESPixelStick/tree/unify

I use the LoLin ESP32 pro. That external antenna really pushes up the price. I suppose you get better range using that. Since you do not need a lot of IO, this would work as well and is half the price:

https://www.amazon.com/ACROBOTIC-ESP...4989801&sr=8-3

And this is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Origi...989801&sr=8-13

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

After I unzip the files into the Arduino Library folder and run the software I get these errors,

Invalid library found in C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ESPixel Stick: no headers files (.h) found in C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ESPixel Stick-unify
    Invalid library found in C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino-esp32-master: no headers files (.h) found in C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino-esp32-master
    Invalid library found in C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduino-master: no headers files (.h) found in C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduino-master
    Invalid library found in C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\esp32fs : no headers files (.h) found in C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\esp32fs
    Invalid library found in C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ESP8266 LittleFS: no headers files (.h) found in C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ESP8266 LittleFS

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing missing in the readme is telling people to use the Arduino IDE to download the board support packages using the library manager.

Your error seems to be where you have located the software files. It looks like you cloned the repository into:
    C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ESPixel Stick-unify

when it should be (note no space in the name and capitalization is important):

C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\ESPixelStick

And the manually downloaded libraries need to be in

C:\Users\scott\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Library Name

Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 03-06-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    The software is at: https://github.com/forkineye/ESPixelStick/tree/unify

I use the LoLin ESP32 pro. That external antenna really pushes up the price. I suppose you get better range using that. Since you do not need a lot of IO, this would work as well and is half the price:

https://www.amazon.com/ACROBOTIC-ESP...4989801&sr=8-3

And this is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Origi...989801&sr=8-13
    I ordered the ones you use, Any good sources on how to get it setup?

Post Thanks / Like

I removed the directories and started over again with the new results,

ESPixelStick:29:30: fatal error: src/ESPixelStick.h: No such file or directory
    #include "src/ESPixelStick.h"
    ^
    compilation terminated.
    exit status 1
    src/ESPixelStick.h: No such file or directory

So where is the app looking for this file?
    I copied the ESPixelStick/src folder to Arduino/libraries/ESPixelStick/src

or do I need to load the ESPixelStick-unify using Arduino IDE and download the ESPixelStick board support packages using the library manager?
    I tried this but I do not have the correct link.
    Last edited by 2k05gt; 03-07-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You will need to paste this URL in preferences /additional boards manager in the Arduino IDE
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/es...p32_index.json
    Then you will be able to find the support packages via tools/boards manager .

Also if you open an example sketch check the path used by the IDE .

Post Thanks / Like

Lets step back a moment because it seems you missed an important detail someplace:

1. install the Arduino IDE and tell it your default workbook folder is documents\Arduino
    2. in ...\Documents\Arduino create two sub directories
      • ...\Documents\Arduino\Libraries
      • ...\Documents\Arduino\Tools

3. Download / Clone the libraries identified in the readme into sub directories in the ...\Arduino\libraries directory
    4. Download the littleFS utility into the Tools directory
    5. Clone ESPixelStick-Unify into ...\Documents\Arduino\ESPixelStick
      • NOTE: The capitalization and spelling
      • ALL of the files and subdirectories must be present (your error indicates you did this step incorrectly)

6. Connect your LoLin D32 PRO to the computer using a USB cable (not the Serial Port the gets opened)
    7. In the ESPixelStick directory double click on the ESPixelStick.ino file
    8. In the Arduino IDE click: File->Preferences
    9. Make sure Sketchbook location is set to point at your Arduino directory (note espixelstick dir)
    10. Set the following into the "Additional Boards Manager URLs" field:

11. Exit the preferences menu
    12. Click on "Tools->Board->ESP32->LOLIN D32 PRO
    13. Next click on Tools->PSRAM->enabled
    14. Set the port on which the LoLin is connected: Tools->port->YouPortNumberGoesHere
    15. Click Sketch->Upload - This will build and upload to the LoLin device

Let us know what errors you get. The rest of the errors will most likely be caused by not downloading ALL of the libraries described in the README file and putting them in the right place.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast