Thread: T1000S-WS2811 Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default T1000S-WS2811 Problems

First off, I'm new to this world, but I have been around the block (Pinball Repair, and Retired Programmer/ISD, and 30+ other jobs).

I've got a TS1000S, 256MB SD card, powered by a 20amp 5V power supply and a string of 50 WS2811 RGB modules.

After several attempts I've reached an impasse on getting a simple 300 frame led file to run.
    At power on, the string lights up, and does some flashing like it's going to work and then locks up essentially all white after a few seconds.
    Just as or before it locks up the Error light starts flashing then stops.
    I've got the same result on several different files and variations in effects and colors.
    Without the card in place, I can go through the packaged displays, and have let one run for over an hour without a hitch.

I've tried creating a file with LedEdit-2012 without even this much luck.
    The current file is from LedEdit-2021 on a Windows-10 desktop.
    It's a 50 Led Star, imported from a .dxf file I created using DesignCad program.

Any Ideas? or More Information needed?
    Last edited by Tyrd Oldman; 03-02-2021 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: T1000S-WS2811 Problems

IIRC, the T controllers are notorious for working only with certain versions of LedEdit. Do you know which version is recommended by your supplier?

Post Thanks / Like

Your memory does you credit, it is the answer, at my age RCI (do a find on "cranial" on this link) is the major problem.

The suppliers information said versions 2012 and newer.
    I'd started with 2021 and after no luck tried 2012 and again no luck, and different symptoms than with 2021.
    Having been a programmer, I kept researching and figured that it had to be a version problem so I tried a 2015 to hit somewhere in the middle.
    That didn't work so I found a download of 2013 that doesn't have an installer(??) but would run albeit a little flaky and was successful.
    I can create and generate code to the SD, but can't do much if any editing.
    My success was the product of my .dxf file being able to import for the design.
    I'm going to try a 2014 version after I find a site that doesn't have a Trojan waiting for me and see what that brings.

Thanks for the input it's greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know whether this link is helpful or not, but it's a possible resource... good luck to you!

https://learnitstepbystep.blogspot.c...-tutorial.html

And a link to older versions of the software:

https://learnitstepbystep.blogspot.c...2017-2018.html

There's an interesting note near the bottom of that page. You have to change the date of your computer to an allowable date to use various versions of the software. Weird...
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 03-03-2021 at 04:37 PM.

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

I've had it bookmarked already it doesn't solve this specific problem, but has useful information and links.
    I've been surprised how little written information there is on this unit, and how many YouTube's there are that don't really help the newbie.
    If I suddenly develop some real ambition I might do my own DIY course (I was an Instructional Systems Developer for programmers).

Post Thanks / Like

A painfull watch but lots of info .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ0hI_8TjG4

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help, I hadn't run across this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the help, and with that and a lot of research on my own I've succeeded in creating a light display of a 50 LED star inside of a 50 LED outline of Texas, and with only one controller, displaying different effects for each, at the same time.

For other newbies that may come across this...
    Process:
    1. Create a layout in LedEdit, or imported from another source as a .dxf file.
    I did have troubles with finding the version of LedEdit that worked with my controller and the WS2811 lights,
    and after trying 4 different versions I've settled on the 2014 version.
    I use my DesignCad that I've had for years for remodeling work design (2d & 3d) to design the layout and connections
    and export a .dxf file for LedEdit to use.

2. Add an effect (.swf) file to LedEdit either from the library, or generate your own.
    I've been using a free copy of MovAvi to view the .swf files (effects) and
    A copy of Free VSDC Video Editor to create/modify/combine different effects into a .swf for
    LedEdit to use in creating the display program for the T1000S.

3. "Record" in LedEdit the results of the layout with the effects file running behind it, edit it if required, and Export it to the .led program.

4. Copy the led program (you can rename it, keeping the required naming convention of 00_ABCD_01.led) to the SD card for the T1000S.

Turn it on and enjoy the results.

Good Lighting to all and goodnight.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Tyrd,

How about a picture of your creation?

Post Thanks / Like

OK Mike, you asked for it...

Here's a link to a screen capture of the LedEdit preview for the Star in Texas display.
    There are actually two different "Programs" you'll see the shift near the end.
    The first uses a radial .swf for the star, so it appears to twinkle, and the Texas portion is an expanding color shift.
    The second uses a oval expanding rainbow for the star, and a downward rainbow for Texas.
    These are my first two experiments. It's taken more time than it should, but I'm having to learn 4 different pieces of software, and the ins and outs of the hardware.

http://www.sostx.com/sitebuildercont...ture_ef1n2.avi

This video is taken from my phone so please excuse the glare and focus
    (LG-K30 from Spectrum is no bueno por ca-ca)
    I only took a short run to keep the file size down.
    As you can see, the Star is temporarily mounted in a cardboard file box lid, and the Texas outline is just the string laid on the floor around the star.
    Both will end up on a 4' x 4' panel/frame (someday).

http://www.sostx.com/sitebuildercont..._test_sntg.mpg

Both will end up on a 4' x 4' panel/frame (someday).