Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Megatree power configuration and F16v3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Megatree power configuration and F16v3

Quote Originally Posted by rci27 View Post
    I've compromised down to 60% as the mathematical magic number I need to hit to make it work That breaks down to 32 strings of 50 lights put into groups of 100 to use 16 ports. 80% power supply utilization at 60% brightness gives me 57.6 amps for the total board - or 28.8 amps per bank.

In general - how strict are the amperage limits. The PiCAp is documented at 5amps max but in practice, it can handle a lot more. What is the relationship between the documented amp load and practical use?
    I can tell you from personal experience that you will find that 35% is plenty for that tree. I run 16 strings of 50 pixels at 35% 40 feet from road and its perfect. 60% is to bright

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago ("ancient" in DIYC time) we ran the display at 100%. Actually had people tell us it was a great display, but "could you dim the lights?" I guess they were right as I could see to walk through the woods 200 feet across the road by the light they produced. (Not sure if it was enough to see from space, but it may have been.) Since then the 30% setting has been standard, especially on high density props such as matrix or trees.

FYI - we found colors to be deeper and richer in the lower power ranges as well. Truly a win on all sides.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Many years ago ("ancient" in DIYC time) we ran the display at 100%. Actually had people tell us it was a great display, but "could you dim the lights?" I guess they were right as I could see to walk through the woods 200 feet across the road by the light they produced. (Not sure if it was enough to see from space, but it may have been.) Since then the 30% setting has been standard, especially on high density props such as matrix or trees.

FYI - we found colors to be deeper and richer in the lower power ranges as well. Truly a win on all sides.
    My first 2 years i ran at 100%, a week left 8n my second year, I took some advice and turned it down to 35% and never tur ed it back up.

Post Thanks / Like

While I also run some of my props at less than 100% brightness, I was always taught (in my EE classes) that you have to design for worst case (aka 100% brightness). Anything else and you increase the risk of 'bad things happening" when a mistake is made. Then he added: If humans are involved, a mistake WILL be made at the worst possible moment.

FYI: In this hobby, I include squirrels and deer in the high risk factor list.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    While I also run some of my props at less than 100% brightness, I was always taught (in my EE classes) that you have to design for worst case (aka 100% brightness). Anything else and you increase the risk of 'bad things happening" when a mistake is made. Then he added: If humans are involved, a mistake WILL be made at the worst possible moment.

FYI: In this hobby, I include squirrels and deer in the high risk factor list.
    I include Deer and Squirrels in my dinner menu if i catch them messing with my show.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in a new site and I was not aware of the deer migration patterns. Many tracks led right up to one of my mid trees and then the animal went around the tree (only mildly hitting the side) and continuing on the other side.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I am in a new site and I was not aware of the deer migration patterns. Many tracks led right up to one of my mid trees and then the animal went around the tree (only mildly hitting the side) and continuing on the other side.
    I have only had one issue, had a doe come in my yard and tried to pick a fight with a blow mold. Only thing I can figure, she was passed at Santa for some reason. Santa is no longer with us...RIP Mr. Clause

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12