Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi 4 for FPP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raspberry Pi 4 for FPP

I am using a pi 4 for FPP and so far it has been running great. I would like to know if I need to keep using pi 4 or can I add a BBB as a remote to the pi 4. What I am trying to do is setup a matrix with P10 panels and using either a BBB or a pi 4 to control the panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Raspberry Pi 4 for FPP

I have a FPP running my whole show. I then have a BBB set as Remote running my p10 Matrix. I then sync them to one another.Not sure if this is what you're trying to do or not.
    (1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1)Falcon F16V3
    (1) Kulp K32A-B
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

There are many of us that are using one FPP instance as a master and several other FPP instances as remotes. No problem.
    Note that the software (FPP) is pretty much the same no matter what hardware you have it running on.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

All of my pi 4's run super hot for some reason so I needed a heat sink. I don't know about y'all.

What I do is have my pi run everything. I use the rj45 jack to output e1.31 data to the BBB p10 matrix.
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Although you could run a Pi4 and a cape for the P10's with DMX and/or Pixels (WiFi or Ethernet) off the same Pi4, but the Remote is your beat option. I run 7 remotes off my master Pi, all syncing via WiFi. if you do add a BBB and cape for your p10's, I suggest you look at Dan Kulps PocketBeagle and cape. Dan is the Beagle side developer for FPP and designed his pocketscroller optonized for the FPP Beagle system. See it here: https://kulplights.com/product/pocketscroller/
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spankyty View Post
    All of my pi 4's run super hot for some reason so I needed a heat sink. I don't know about y'all.

What I do is have my pi run everything. I use the rj45 jack to output e1.31 data to the BBB p10 matrix.
    That is just the design of the Pi 4. I also recommend getting a fan for your Pi, and not just a heat sink. Although you could probably do without, if you know you are always running only in December in upstate NY.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1pet2_9 View Post
    That is just the design of the Pi 4. I also recommend getting a fan for your Pi, and not just a heat sink. Although you could probably do without, if you know you are always running only in December in upstate NY.
    Iím not sure you need a fan or heat sink unless your running in a enclosed car parked on a open parking lot in Phoenix. Components on a Pi4 are rated 80 degree C.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I can say with 100% certainty that you need a heat sink. The fan is a precaution.

Post Thanks / Like

I can say with 100% certainty that you need a heat sink. The fan is a precaution.
    That is just YOUR perception because you touched it. Look at actual data on the FPP main screen. With the latest version, FPP displays the CPU Temp.

Mine is enclosed in a Red & White case, mounted in the garage at a 24C (75.2F) ambient. . . .without a heatsink or fan and running a sequence looped, my CPU is displayed at 55.5C peak. I wouldn't consider a heat sink until this number goes above 68C, and a fan above 72C. Just a matter of engineering. But with that said, If my garage ambient gets to 36C (97F) that may drive the CPU temp to my 85% factor, and I'll consider adding a heatsink.

I guess if you have a heatsink it won't hurt to add, I just feel it is not necessary for everyone to rush out and buy one.
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 02-20-2021 at 06:41 PM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, heat sink with fan.
    Crazy Light Addict.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast