Thread: 16-bit Custom Values and Generic Serial

Post Thanks / Like

Default 16-bit Custom Values and Generic Serial

Summary: I can't figure out how to send 16-bit custom values to my generic serial output. I'm wondering if it's just not implemented yet or if I'm missing something.

I've got multiple custom props that are driven by an Arduino and just take a Custom Value from Vixen. They're all single item elements that are patched to single outputs of a Generic Serial controller. 8-bit custom values work great. If I select 16-bit custom value though, the output shows only the low order byte (value 258 outputs as 2). It makes sense that a single output channel needs to be only 8 bits. So... can I map a single item element to two output channels? I can't see a way. Even if I give my single item an RGB color property and map it to three channels of the Generic Serial controller, it doesn't work - I see one of three bytes set to 255.

Can anyone give me some insight?

Thanks,

Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 16-bit Custom Values and Generic Serial

16 bit values are not supported by any of the controllers at this time even though the core of the system can handle them. We do have some features in the works that should make it easier to do that in the future. What are you trying to do that you need 16 bit values?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    16 bit values are not supported by any of the controllers at this time even though the core of the system can handle them. We do have some features in the works that should make it easier to do that in the future. What are you trying to do that you need 16 bit values?
    Hi Jeff
    There is code out there now for the Esp32 , 16bit and these new variations of pixels . ( Makuna announced -> Announcement: 2.6.1 official release made * Dynamic Bus Channels for hardware that supports it (arrays of NeoPixelBus) * LPD6803 support * APA106 timing tuning * Rgb16Color (565 16 bit color) and Rgb48Color (48 bit color) objects * General bug fixes ) .

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,

I send custom codes to Arduino driven props I've built. They're all single item elements that are patched to single outputs of a Generic Serial controller. I'm running out of space with 1 byte per "channel" and was looking for an easy way to send two bytes instead. I can (and am for now) just creating two single item elements for each of my props. It would be a little easier to see in the sequencer if they were one line each but it's not a big deal.

Thanks,

Erik