Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single channel AC dimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Single channel AC dimmer

I have ordered a couple of these to control some 200W 110V AC led Flood lights and not certain of the max load these can handle without issue . The power specs say 600V - 16A but that seems overrated for these boards .

Is there any members that have experience with these dimmers ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Single channel AC dimmer

No experience directly but I would heavily de-rate the capacity of the Triac....

If you are interested I have some 4 channel DMX AC dimmer PCBs and possibly kits (gotta look through the piles o crap)
    These were the SSR4 AC dimmers from DLA (back in the day)
    http://www.diylightanimation.com/wik...ipment#Dimmers

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bob

These appear to use TRIAC BTA16 - 600B 16a where as the DMX SSR4 uses BTA06-600SRG 6a .
    My concern was to much heat with the smallish heatsink.

We were by there the other day and noticed some pixels out back of your house .
    You working on props for the festival ?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry too much about those devices, since those heatsinks appear beefier than the aluminium bars that some people are using for heatsinks. However, whether the temperature specs of the TRIACs will be met depends on the ambient temperature (inside whatever enclosure is being used) and potentially how much airflow there is across the heatsinks, and on what the duty cycle is (i.e. dimming, or on 100% of the time for a lengthy interval). All of this is largely independent of the current rating of the triacs, so long as it exceeds the actual current flowing through them.

All that said, I'd be very leery of operating them at 100F inside a sealed enclosure at 100% for any significant period of time.

There is a thread in the "Renard General" forum by ctmal discussing these considerations.
    Last edited by P. Short; 04-28-2021 at 09:33 PM.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

You can always try the Robotdyn triac module and load it up with as many lamps as you plan and see what happens....
    I have a assembled SSR4 that you can use to compare...

Looked through my stuff and found 4 SSR4 PCBs in the event you don't want to roll your own...

The pixels thing may have been the RBL knockoffs (based on Xmas lights I got from Home Depot) that I am playing with...

IMG_2083.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

No these are not 16A at 600V. They even repeated that hooey in a couple of places.

Read the back of the board. normal 2A / max 5A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    No these are not 16A at 600V. They even repeated that hooey in a couple of places.

Read the back of the board. normal 2A / max 5A
    Thanks for the reply Mike .
    I think their power rating is for line voltage of the triac ,as you stated 2-5a max output is on the back of the pcb which I now see on their slide images.

The 5a max is suggested for short durations only.
    The reason I wanted these is to dim down the 200W as it is just way to bright .

Post Thanks / Like

Once they arrive I will test and post results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about those devices, since those heatsinks appear beefier than the aluminium bars that some people are using for heatsinks. However, whether the temperature specs of the TRIACs will be met depends on the ambient temperature (inside whatever enclosure is being used) and potentially how much airflow there is across the heatsinks, and on what the duty cycle is (i.e. dimming, or on 100% of the time for a lengthy interval). All of this is largely independent of the current rating of the triacs, so long as it exceeds the actual current flowing through them.

All that said, I'd be very leery of operating them at 100F inside a sealed enclosure at 100% for any significant period of time.

There is a thread in the "Renard General" forum by ctmal discussing these considerations.
    Thank you for the assurance Phil . I will read Ctmal's thread.

Post Thanks / Like

200W at 120VAC is 1.7 amps. Should be fine since you want to reduce the current even further.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast