Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Window, Door, Garage Outline

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Window, Door, Garage Outline

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    I made some PVC window frames in 1990, painted them black to protect them from UV and they're still going strong. Each window has four strings of 100-ct LEDs and a 4-channel wireless controller permanently mounted on them. I started with incandescent mini-lights but in 2010, replaced them with LEDs. I've not had a single failure of a bulb or string since, and I think one reason is that there's little wear-and-tear on the strings because they're mounted on the frames. I also outline the garage doors with PVC frames.

I've had to repair only one frame... after I dropped it from an upper floor window...

https://www.diychristmas.org/wiki/in..._Window_Frames

Great mix of lighting elements .I quite liked the Star effect , that just added to the enjoyable sequence !

Post Thanks / Like

I use j channels to mount mine. I put the pixels in the bowl section of the j and use the arm section to slide in behind the existing j channels that protects the window. Mine fit tight enough that I didn’t even have to secure them. And since the j channels it’s the same color as the house it blends right in and isn’t an eye soar in the day time.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any pictures? I purchased some mounting system from HolidayCoro (https://www.holidaycoro.com/PixelTri...-p/1054-21.htm I think). Pretty much everybody seems to mount those to PVC pipes and then either permanently or seasonally mount those PVC pipes to the house. I REALLY don't want PVC pipes around my windows/doors, especially not permanently. Storage is a big issue, too. So I am thinking of using this PixelTrim System just with hooks in the wall (kills drill bits...) and zip ties. I probably will end up with a big failure but if not then it will help a lot for all my concerns.

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't see what's the issue with just getting IP67 LED strips and mounting those directly on the straightaways. If you have curves, I understand, but...not straightaways.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, so you are ditching pixels for windows and doors and just use LED strips? I think unless you put them into a PVC pipe the viewing angle could be an issue. Even if you put them into a PRC pipe you have to card about the orientation of the strip (that it doesn't twist). That's really the only possible problem I see but otherwise I like that idea.
    Last edited by munu; 04-07-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1pet2_9 View Post
    I still don't see what's the issue with just getting IP67 LED strips and mounting those directly on the straightaways. If you have curves, I understand, but...not straightaways.
    Pixel strips look really nice: Tight, even spacing, low profile, bright.
    But...
    IP67 rarely is really IP67.
    Repairing a single pixel is a huge PITA. Pixel strings are much easier to repair, especially using solder sleeves.

Post Thanks / Like

What if you paid a little more to go up to WS2815?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12