Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window, Door, Garage Outline

Post Thanks / Like

Default Window, Door, Garage Outline

So I thought I know how to outline my windows, doors and garage door. I was just going to use some of those plastic hooks (with the little nail you use for fastening) that I use for my dumb string lights. I was then going to hang up bullet pixels. After reading a bunch of posts it turns out this is a completely wrong approach.

Are people really put PVC pipes around windows and doors? I could paint them but I think it will still look ugly plus mounting PVC pipes is kind of hard (all the drilling into hard yet still brittle stucco). Someone mentioned he hangs the frame from the eaves which sounded like a good idea but the wooden facia board is about 1.5" aways from the window so I would have to deal with the stucco again. Unless I can hotclue some velcro on the wall and try to keep it flush that way.

Also are there alternatives to not using PVC pipes around all windows/doors? Maybe something like https://www.holidaycoro.com/PixelTri...der-p/1054.htm

Then again, I read posts that it's better to use LED strings rather than pixels. And the ones that use pixels seem to prefer the square ones. It's quite confusing even after reading a lot of posts...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Window, Door, Garage Outline

Yes, some of us really do use PVC pipes as the "frame" for pixels around garage doors and windows. In my case, I've got wood framing that allowed me to mount clips to hold the pipes against the house. It's only about 700 pixels with a zip tie on each side to hold the pixel in place on the pipe. But, like you said, you don't want holes everywhere on the side of your house, so maybe that Velcro is a smart idea.

The reason many use square pixels is they are mostly flat on the back and make it so your pixels and frames don't stick out too far from the side of the house.

I'm not sure what type of LED strings you are talking about...maybe you could clarify?

Post Thanks / Like

look at boscoyo studios for some more ideas.
    There is nothing wrong with what you were planning if you like the look. try it for year and change it if you dont like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I made some PVC window frames in 1990, painted them black to protect them from UV and they're still going strong. Each window has four strings of 100-ct LEDs and a 4-channel wireless controller permanently mounted on them. I started with incandescent mini-lights but in 2010, replaced them with LEDs. I've not had a single failure of a bulb or string since, and I think one reason is that there's little wear-and-tear on the strings because they're mounted on the frames. I also outline the garage doors with PVC frames.

I've had to repair only one frame... after I dropped it from an upper floor window...

https://www.diychristmas.org/wiki/in..._Window_Frames

Last edited by dirknerkle; 01-27-2021 at 01:15 PM.

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by munu View Post
    So I thought I know how to outline my windows, doors and garage door. I was just going to use some of those plastic hooks (with the little nail you use for fastening) that I use for my dumb string lights. I was then going to hang up bullet pixels. After reading a bunch of posts it turns out this is a completely wrong approach.

Are people really put PVC pipes around windows and doors? I could paint them but I think it will still look ugly plus mounting PVC pipes is kind of hard (all the drilling into hard yet still brittle stucco). Someone mentioned he hangs the frame from the eaves which sounded like a good idea but the wooden facia board is about 1.5" aways from the window so I would have to deal with the stucco again. Unless I can hotclue some velcro on the wall and try to keep it flush that way.

Also are there alternatives to not using PVC pipes around all windows/doors? Maybe something like https://www.holidaycoro.com/PixelTri...der-p/1054.htm

Then again, I read posts that it's better to use LED strings rather than pixels. And the ones that use pixels seem to prefer the square ones. It's quite confusing even after reading a lot of posts...
    I guess Iím doing it all wrong then. I use 1/2Ē PVC drilled for bullet pixels hung over my windows and doors. Painted the PVC black and at night you canít see any of the PVC. Goes up easy. Comes down easy and stores in the garage on hangers on the wall. Be doing it this way for several years now. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the input. It looks like PVC pipes is the way to go. I am still not quite sure how to do the mounting as the stucco is kind of brittle and doesn't feel like it can hold the weight unless drilling some big holes (I am thinking of two mountings at the top and maybe some velcro at the bottom so the wind doesn't take it down).

Btw, are you all using zip ties to mount the pixel bullets (or squares?) along the pipe rather than wrapping them around the pipes like with arches under which you can walk?

Also since you are using PVC pipes why not using waterproof string LED lights in PVC pipes? I am new to this so excuse my question. It's probably something obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by munu View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. It looks like PVC pipes is the way to go. I am still not quite sure how to do the mounting as the stucco is kind of brittle and doesn't feel like it can hold the weight unless drilling some big holes (I am thinking of two mountings at the top and maybe some velcro at the bottom so the wind doesn't take it down).

Btw, are you all using zip ties to mount the pixel bullets (or squares?) along the pipe rather than wrapping them around the pipes like with arches under which you can walk?

Also since you are using PVC pipes why not using waterproof string LED lights in PVC pipes? I am new to this so excuse my question. It's probably something obvious.
    Yes, I use zip ties on my Pixabulbs to hold the strings onto the PVC pipes. I could use the Boscoyo strips to mount my lights but I'd still have to zip tie the strips to the pipe so I just cut out the extra work.

If you are asking why we don't just stick the pixels *inside* the PVC pipes, you'd have to drill a very large hole in the back to get them to go through, plus a 12mm hole in the front so they could stick out. And, in my case, I'm using the Pixabulb style pixels on my house and they are far too big to poke through a PVC pipe. However, that's my solution for my case - I've seen videos and pictures of people here that have made a jig so they *can* drill 12mm holes in their PVC pipes.

Post Thanks / Like

I drill a hole through the PVC and slide the whole pixel in so h
    Just the end is sticking out the front of the pipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

@TSL when you say "drill a hole through the PVC" I assume you mean a whole for each LED. Is that correct? I guess that allows for more precise spacing rather than wrapping pixels around the pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. When drilling the pvc I made a jig to drill the holes at 2Ē spacing on my drill press. I drilled 1/2Ē holes and the pixels slide right in. They are a little loose but they stay in well. This way the whole pixe is in the hole so the need for square pixels isnít needed. I can post some pics tomorrow if you would like. If youíre going to grill get a step drill bit. Twist bits do not work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast