Thread: FPP Master/Remote Display Layout

Post Thanks / Like

Default FPP Master/Remote Display Layout

I have been fully wired for my display since I started, but kept reading and thinking how nice it would be to go wireless, so last year I rebuilt my props to be run from 19 ESPixelSticks. The results were not acceptable as I was having WAY TO MUCH lag. I ended up doing a quick rework and went back fully wired. I understand where I could have made improvements to my wireless setup that would have made the system work better, but I am not convinced they would have gotten me all the way to an acceptable show.

I have been doing research on the FPP Master/Remote method of running my display. I believe the idea of having the sequence information stored locally makes a lot more sense than trying to broadcast it over WiFi. I am very intrigued by some of the RPi Capes that are available. It seems like the RPi is limited to 2 outputs (unless using a pixel splitter) of 800 pixels each at 40FPS. With these parameters, it looks like it will take 9 FPP devices (1 Master and 8 Remotes) to run my current layout. I have read the FPP Manual about this using this system, but most everything I have read is dealing with using external controllers rather than device capes.

My current thought would be to use set up the Master Cape device as a bridge between my Home and Show networks by configuring WLan0 to my Home Network and Eth0 to the Show Network and attaching my WAP there and taking my audio out via USB to my FM Transmitter system (as I did last year). The 8 Remote Cape devices will have the WLan0 set to the Show Network.

Does this sound like I am going down the correct path with this methodology?
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP Master/Remote Display Layout

Yes, your understanding is correct. I was confused about remotes until I set one up. It was much easier than I expected. Keep in mind you don't have to use a cape. You can also use something like an RPi with a WiFi adapter and then use a short cable between that and your controller. The RPi would be wireless but the RPi and controller would be wired in the same enclosure.

To setup a remote, install FPP, connect to it (WiFi, USB, etc) and then configure your WiFi network. I use USB WiFi Adapters to make sure I've got a strong signal. After configuring FPP, change the "FPPD Mode" to remote. To keep all remotes in sync, I use xlights because it pushes the model and sequences for me. You can also update remotes from the master. Just select "multisync", check the remotes to update and "copy files".

Post Thanks / Like

I ran about 10 remotes with a mix of rpi and beaglebones this year 1/2 were wired to my show network and the other half were wifi. Depending how far apart things are you may want to look into some of the kulp boards as you can get more ports, and most you can even connect differential receivers to. I would think 1 kulp would be cheaper than 2 rpi's and allow way more flexibilty.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

espixelstick v4 has had fpp remote support added to it. you will need at a minimum the v3 hardware that has yje sd card socket to support local files.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    espixelstick v4 has had fpp remote support added to it. you will need at a minimum the v3 hardware that has yje sd card socket to support local files.
    I am aware that this is coming/now here, but all 19 of my PixelSticks are V2, so I need to purchase new hardware no matter which path I take. Some of the Pi Capes also include Renard Output capabilities along with the 2 (or more) pixel outputs. This tips the balance in favor of Pi Capes for me. Plus since I can utilize the Pi Zero W with these capes, the price is actually less than updating to V3 pixelsticks.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless