Thread: Kulp K4 PB/pixel issue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kulp K4 PB/pixel issue

Ok here is my issue. The first pixel on each of these towers comes on the minute I turn the ps on and the board starts up. I just made these so I can learn some of this. Each tower is on a separate port so I'm guessing it's something with the card or how they are configured. Test mode in fpp works fine. I did a little sequence in xlights and brought it into fpp and that works but the first pixel stays on. Turned power down on PS from 5.13 to 4.95. Changed PS as well.
    Newbie and I'm stumped. Using 5v

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Kulp K4 PB/pixel issue

What kind of pixels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Alitove 5volt. Had them for 3 weeks now. First k4 wouldnt turn on so got a second one. Just in case this one was no good i also bought a k16 A-B. Wanted the ethernet port

Post Thanks / Like

I've experienced this a few times and all were related to noise on the data line. If you have a long cable feeding the pixels then use the shortest one that fits. I had the same issue earlier this year with a 15' extension cable when I only needed a 10'. Shortening the cable fixed it. If you have any AC wires in close proximity to your data line then you can introduce noise that causes the issue you describe. The solution is to move the AC cable further from the data line. This is an issue when you lay your data lines down next to the AC mains cable. Sometimes there's noise and some times there isn't. I've also had noise in a crowded enclosure. I had an enclosure with a controller, power supply and distribution board. I also ran a data cable to a Renard controller that picked up noise from other cables or PCB's in the enclosure. Re-routing the cable fixed that issue. I use several Kulp PB-8 controllers and haven't had a problem with those.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I have no ac wires near where the 5v lines run from the psu to the towers. The control card is 2ft from the psu and the lines going to the towers are 3ft long. I'm using cat 5 for the data lines since that's what I will be using. Maybe I will try regular stranded electric wire. Strange

Post Thanks / Like

I had several strings partially light up on my mega tree last year when I first powered up the power supplies and controller. It worked fine once the controller booted up, so I didn't worry too much about it. A lot of folks seem to just leave everything powered up 24/7, so if you do that, you won't even notice!