Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SharkBite vs Apollo

Post Thanks / Like

Default SharkBite vs Apollo

I am planning to do some arches next year and most people on this forum seem to like SharkBite. Unfortunately, when checking HomeDepot I can only find 3/4" at reasonable lengths. 1" only comes at 300 ft and longer. I see Apollo PEX pipes 1" x 10ft for $8. Are those just as good as the SharkBite?

Btw, I also purchased some semi-flexible, semi-clear polyethylene tubing from McMaster in 7/8", 1" and 2" ID. I am trying to compare the different tubing and then decide for one. Hence, I don't want to buy huge amount of tubing from HD.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SharkBite vs Apollo

Not sure what their current offerings are, but I've had great luck with True Value Hardware. If you have one near you, they usually have 20 foot lengths available on their website and they have shipped free to a nearby store. Once again, if you have one.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by munu View Post
    Btw, I also purchased some semi-flexible, semi-clear polyethylene tubing from McMaster in 7/8", 1" and 2" ID. I am trying to compare the different tubing and then decide for one. Hence, I don't want to buy huge amount of tubing from HD.
    I've done the side-by-side comparison of HDPE versus PEX (Sharkbite), and much prefer the PEX, both in terms of how the light is more diffused and how the colors are more vibrant. I'm not familiar with Apollo--but I would guess that Sharkbite and Apollo would be compatible, given that they are both PEX.

Post Thanks / Like

I built three arches this year with 1" x 10' PEX. I thought they turned out pretty good. Also, HD is pretty good about returns so you can try it out and return them if you don't like them (as long as you don't cut them).

Post Thanks / Like

i agree pex looks good i made some and like them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Without seeing either lit up, so far the Apollo looks the most promising to me, and I will be in the market for about 600 feet of it this year.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife picked up a 10' Apollo pipe from HD as she passed by a store. It looks kind of opaque. I am supposed to get HDPE from McMaster tomorrow and will stick in some LED strip lights and possibly some pixels (I have a string of 50 to do some experiments). I might go to HD and look at SharkBite piping to get some idea how it will look compared to the other pipes.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the 10' sticks of Apollo 1" pex for my arches.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious...if you are buying 10 foot sticks, how are you planning on curving/bending them? And for those of you that already bought the 10 foot sticks, same question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    Just curious...if you are buying 10 foot sticks, how are you planning on curving/bending them? And for those of you that already bought the 10 foot sticks, same question.
    My 1" PEX was purchased in a coil--so bending into my arches was no big deal. Just made a bracer at the bottom to hold it in shape.

My 1/2" PEX was purchased as a 10' stick--which I wanted straight for my icicles. However, soaking in hot water does make them a bit more pliable.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast