Thread: Candy Cane Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Candy Cane Questions

A couple of questions for those of you who have the Boscoyo 99 candy canes. I am planning on adding 18 to my display this year. 10 on one side of my driveway and 8 on the other. My first question is how are you wiring them up? I have an idea of how I will do either side, just wondering how some of you would connect up multiple canes with data and voltage injection? My other question is in regards to sequencing. I am using Vixen and have modeled all of my individual candy canes following the boscoyo pixel layout. So, how are you doing a candy cane stripes? Did you create stripe groups or use some other method?

Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Candy Cane Questions

I have 12 when I did mine I wired them in vertical columns. This leaves you with the data out up by the top of the candy cane.
    I just ran a data out wire extension to get to the bottom.

At 50% brightness I can run two easily off one power point. I think technically I did three before but since mine are grouped in fours that didnít become useful.

Stripes can be accomplished with effects. I donít have a stripes group. I believe I use the spiral effect to get the stripes but Iíd have to confirm that.

Post Thanks / Like

In this picture you can see the blue data out wire going from the top to the bottom.

You can also see how I mount them. I made this so I could make them perfectly straight and level. Originally I had each one on its own post and that was a nightmare trying to line them up. (I am likely more picky than most when it comes to that)

Post Thanks / Like

I had 48 of them the last two years(retiring them for 2021). I used the wiring diagram from Boscoyo that's integrated into xLights with DI and DO starting at the bottom of the cane. I power injected between arch 1-2,3-4, etc every 198 nodes powering both directions. 6 outputs on (4) Falcons with 792 pixels each. Too bad you aren't close because I have a ton of 99 node Daycor candy canes with 12v nodes I don't need..

Post Thanks / Like

StickyWicket and UncleDan thanks for the reply. After researching I think I am going to follow the Boscoyo wiring diagram. Having the DI and DO at the bottom will make it easier to daisy chain them. I am planning on using Mean Well 12v 350w 29a power supplies, using two for each side of my driveway. I am planning on voltage injection at the beginning of each cane. This way all of the Candy Canes can be built the same, their order will not matter. I usually build an extra for easy swap out in case of needed repairs. I will actually build two extras because I am using Daycor candy canes both Right and Left so one extra of each. The plan will be to drive the receiver and four canes from the first supply and the remaining canes from the second supply. As long as I connect the two supplies 12v negatives together, correct? Again, I plan on making the controller boxes and injection boxes the same, so it won't matter which side they go on. I will work on a diagram to put in when I get a chance.

Thanks for the idea using Spirals. Will have to try it in my preview and let you know how they look. Was not overly pleased with Stripes.