Thread: Wiring type: CL2 or direct burial?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wiring type: CL2 or direct burial?

I was looking at Monoprice speaker wiring today, and see they have two lines: "Access" (which is in wall CL2 rated), and "Origin" (which is rated for direct burial but is NOT CL2 rated). I will be running power through flower beds, in the yard, and also around my house for roofline, which will involve tucking wiring into jchannel, soffit corners, etc...

I found this on a monoprice support site on CL2 rating:

"A CL2 rating meaning that a cable has passed the required NEC test for a high rating of fire resistance. The cable's materials are not going to burn during a sudden surge of electricity up to 150 watts and the cable itself will not carry a flame."

Does anyone have any input as to which of these wiring types is more suitable, or safer to use?

Thanks,
    - pc

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wiring type: CL2 or direct burial?

If you plan on installing this outdoors, and underground use the cable which is rated and identified direct burial.
    It can also be installed above ground. Usually This type of cable provides UV resistance to sunlight.
    Keep in mind this can not be used for “mains power” or line voltage only for power-limited-circuits.
    Chuck P
    nothing to show

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wiring type: CL2 or direct burial?

I have been using the Monoprice CL rated speaker wire for several years now and have had no issues with it. I typically put it out in early Nov and bring it in by mid-Jan. My cables show no sign of degradation of the outer covering.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless