Thread: Looking to create custom tree from Hammacher Schelmmer tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking to create custom tree from Hammacher Schelmmer tree

I bought this tree and have now gotten it hooked to my piCap to control it. The lights are in groups of 7 lights per controller, so there are 6 pixel chips per leg and 4 on the star.

However it has weird wiring for xLights for a tree model. It interrupts the tree with strands with the star.

94968a_1000x1000.jpg

It goes up from the bottom on nodes 1-6 and then goes around the star for nodes 7-10 and then 11-66 will be on the remaining 11 spokes.

In xLights I want to insert nodes 7-11 before coming back down on the second strand..
    ModB79C.tmp.html.pdf

How can I go about doing this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking to create custom tree from Hammacher Schelmmer tree

Are you trying to figure out how to change your existing layout or how to create a custom model? Personally, I think I would try a polyline with individual channels assignments. If that doesn't work, a custom model might be needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Wondering about the 3D mapping for the tree to look good with all the tree based effects.

I was thinking of a few ways
    1) Make a single connection 12 run tree 360 degrees. Start that node as the first address after the star. Model the star, and model the up string separately. The extra strand will just be unaddressed pixels of data with no place to go. The first string X Y and Z positions are what I am wondering if I will get right so the lights sync properly.
    2) I was hoping I could edit the XML file manually to get it to work to adjust the addresses of the remaining strings. Have the first run be the addresses of the first six, then skip 4 pixels (12 steps), and have the remaining strands offset from their original addresses.

Post Thanks / Like

You could create the models in xLights using contiguous channels and the use Virtual Strings in FPP to put the data in the right output channels.