Thread: First Megatree 32 x50 2" Spacing Possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Megatree 32 x50 2" Spacing Possible?

Looking to build my first mega tree. With the materials I have on hand, I was looking to build a 180degree or 270degree 32 string x 50 node tree with 2" spacing which would be approx 9feet in height. The viewing distance is approx 30 feet. I know this is an odd configuration but looking to get the most pixel density as possible for photos and videos. I am trying to think through the pitfalls with this and need help. I believe I would need a 64 string topper.

What are the other issues/showstoppers here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Megatree 32 x50 2" Spacing Possible?

Why might you need a 64 string topper for a 32 string tree? Are you planning to use mounting strips? If so, they take up just over an inch in width. You will be hard pressed to attach 32 strings to almost any size 180 - 270 degree tree.

Post Thanks / Like

Half of a 64 string (360 degree) topper would be 32 string (180 degree). Idea is to put all 32 string facing forward (180 degree). The plan was to use 2" node spacing mounting strips. Are you saying a 180degree 32 string tree is not workable?

Post Thanks / Like

I just can't imagine being able to fit 32 strings on a 180 degree tree unless you have a huge topper........... I used to have a 32 string 360 degree tree and the strings just fit on my topper, however I was using the boscoyo strips. Do you know what those are? https://boscoyostudio.com/product-ca...-strips-rolls/
    They are used to hold your pixels so that they all face one direction, and in a pretty straight line. I don't think you would be happy with just stringing pixels up and down from the ground to a topper without using something like them.

Post Thanks / Like

https://jboards.ecwid.com/Steel-Mega...G**-p243035385
    This is a 64 whole topper, I'm sure there are others, and it is almost 18" across, so yeah it's doable. The description does not give strip whole spacing.
    Using the 2 to 1 ratio guide for trees,(Height to base) half of 9' is 4 and a half foot diameter base and a foot and a half top. Play around with it and see if that is how you want your tree to look.
    Just know it may have a somewhat flat top or may not look the same as in the preview in your sequencer depending on how you have it set up.
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I am familiar with the strips. I will be using strips with 2" node spacing spacing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Yes I believe that this will look like a truncated cone - a cone with a flat/blunt top (similar to https://www.shutterstock.com/image-v...ted-1260381850). It will be fairly broad and blunt but that is ok for my purpose. I am looking into 65 strip toppers. Wanted to make sure there was no hidden issue other than the atypical shape.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.holidaycoro.com/PixNode-...rees-p/750.htm

The QT3 from HolidayCoro will do what you want and is 14.7 inches diameter. Itís what I use on my tree. My tree is 24ft tall though.

You canít get a tighter crown spacing than this topper.