Thread: Controller Question wemos mini

Post Thanks / Like

Default Controller Question wemos mini

First post!!! I have decided to move on with this and have been devising plans. One major piece is the controller. My first display will be the out line of the roof line, ridge, and hips. I really want to use the wemos mini (ESP8266). its cheap and really easy to deploy. While going through the learning material, here and around the Web, I have not really seen it discussed. Is there a reason not to go wireless on a dedicated wifi for the entire display? Another question that seem to elude me is how many universes can be on a single wemos mini while maintaining a good FPS?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Controller Question wemos mini

Many people mix in wireless in their displays including decent number of universes.

The wemos is is basically the same as a espixelstick and is tested for 680 pixels (4 universes) at 50ms or 20 fps timing. If you haven't bought it yet, you should look to the esp32.

Post Thanks / Like

look at the espixel stick series of devices. lots of people do it this way.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

My entire show of 3300 pixels and some AC lights (10,075 total channels) is run wirelessly by ESPixelstick type of controllers. The show uses about 20 fully packed universes. All of my sequences are run at 20 FPS (50ms refresh rate).

I have an ESPixelstick located under my eaves of the second story bedroom. When necessary, I can open a window and remove the screen to reach out and get to the ESPixelstick. So yes, they are easy to deploy and very inexpensive.

Other posts in this forum have mentioned the maximum number of universes that can be run wirelessly from one Access Point. I think that it was about 26 universes.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

The wemos mini is really great for a single mechanical relay, since that is what it has a pre-made Arduino shield for. It has a nice proto shield as well, if you want to drive a mosfet or two with it. Outside of that, I don't regard the wemos mini as particularly better than other small-form-factor solutions out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan Kulp has some interesting comments about the upcoming ESPixelStick 4.0 and FPP users. May want to wait for more info prior to purchasing WeMos
    Green Site : https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthr...l=1#post115029
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 01-18-2021 at 11:59 PM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the input. Really appreciate your time.