Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct shutdown order

Post Thanks / Like

Default Correct shutdown order

I know. Sounds like a dumb question but I think I already toasted one card.

At the end of the day when Im done with the learning process, I want to shut my PSU off. Im assuming I shut my card off before flipping the PSU switch off. Do I need to unplug my lights from the card as well??

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Correct shutdown order

Quote Originally Posted by chris710tucker View Post

At the end of the day when Im done with the learning process, I want to shut my PSU off. Im assuming I shut my card off before flipping the PSU switch off. Do I need to unplug my lights from the card as well??

thanks
    I just pull the plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a Rpi running, its best to shut it down or there is the possibility of corrupting the SD card. Like removing a flash drive...does anyone actually remove them properly? If its in the middle of a write (or data refresh) and you pull it, it could corrupt data.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Iím just lucky. Been doing it like this for years. I always have a backup SD card just in case but have never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris710tucker View Post

thanks
    Everytime the show ends I run a script to shut down my Beagle Bone, then the pi. Then later in the night I have a timer that shuts down the main power to everything.
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

I shut down 7 FPP (mix of PI and BBB) with timers every night. No issues FPP 4.x now stores the OS on a protection partition so power off no longer corrupts your microSD. Also, if you are using USB drive for storage, I suggest you consider moving to microSD storage. MicroSD read/write is much faster than USB Drive.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spankyty View Post
    Everytime the show ends I run a script to shut down my Beagle Bone, then the pi. Then later in the night I have a timer that shuts down the main power to everything.
    I do this as well. Works perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I'm only 3 weeks into this I only have 4 strings of 2811s and a k4-pb so that has the os on it. I also have a sound blaster if I get to that point. I just didn't want to fry my card or something to that effect. I do now realize that I'm going to need a card with ethernet cause the wifi in my house is terrible. I move to the garage where I planned to put it and the psu and signal was just about non existent. Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

So are you using wifi or ethernet? I have a k4pbthat I put in thg he garage and the signal is terrible. Going to need a new card with ethernet. I'm going to have to watch more videos on how this all works since I'm not going about this quite right. There is one guy in this town that has a light show and he is not helpful at all. Thank you for your input

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. All I'm doing is my roof line, 75ft total and two 7ft candy canes mounted on garage. I do want to add music to it. Time to watch more videos. At least I learned what some of you do to power down. All I'm doing is powering down the k4-pb and turning off psu while I'm learning this in spare room. Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast