Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 5v vs. 12v Pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5v vs. 12v Pixels

"Groups of Three" is in reference to some of the pixel strips. Some strips come with one chip for every 3 pixels. You will see them referenced as 10/30 or the like. 10 nodes with 30 LED packages.

Bullet and square nodes are individually packaged with one chip per LED package. There are some rectangular nodes that also have one chip controlling 3 (or more) LED packages.

Usually we refer to a "pixel" as being a control chip and its associated LED packages. Some call them a "node".

Note: When I state "LED package", this is usually a red, green and blue LED inside a single carrier.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5v vs. 12v Pixels

Yep. Totally agree. My experience is that stuff does fail, especially for those of us that deal with snow and cold rain.

I really like the idea of having self contained props run by wireless pixel sticks.
    As you say it minimizes your failure exposure.
    Plus I like the idea that all I have to do is get power to that prop in some way. It doesn't even have to be the correct voltage with these cheap buck/boost DC power converters!
    And if cost is a factor, you can skip the $28 dollar ESPixelstick (yes, that is the price with shipping now on Amazon) for the DIY versions that have a built cost of $5 or $6.

That's the fun part of this hobby. You can get everything ready to work out of the box, build your own from the ground up and several points in between depending on your time and your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I know a lot of people look at a $200 controller and think that they want to make the most out of that thing. But really, is that wise? in your example, if you have something go wrong in tree 1, then trees 2-4 all go down too. If each tree is on it's own port, then only one tree goes out at a time. If each tree is on it's own single prop controller, even a whole controller can go bad and you still only lose one tree.
    Think of the actual price per port vs the cost of a prop. If a 16 port controller costs about $200. That's $12.50 per port. If you go the F48 + receiver route, then you're only at $9.66 per port. Is that a lot to spend per prop? That's less than the coro itself in most cases. Take the example of a $20 ESPixelStick. It's more money, but it's still well within the acceptable price range to include in a prop that's self sufficient. And that brings the added benefit of not needing any wires except a power connection at the prop.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567