Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 5v vs. 12v Pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5v vs. 12v Pixels

"Groups of Three" is in reference to some of the pixel strips. Some strips come with one chip for every 3 pixels. You will see them referenced as 10/30 or the like. 10 nodes with 30 LED packages.

Bullet and square nodes are individually packaged with one chip per LED package. There are some rectangular nodes that also have one chip controlling 3 (or more) LED packages.

Usually we refer to a "pixel" as being a control chip and its associated LED packages. Some call them a "node".

Note: When I state "LED package", this is usually a red, green and blue LED inside a single carrier.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Totally agree. My experience is that stuff does fail, especially for those of us that deal with snow and cold rain.

I really like the idea of having self contained props run by wireless pixel sticks.
    As you say it minimizes your failure exposure.
    Plus I like the idea that all I have to do is get power to that prop in some way. It doesn't even have to be the correct voltage with these cheap buck/boost DC power converters!
    And if cost is a factor, you can skip the $28 dollar ESPixelstick (yes, that is the price with shipping now on Amazon) for the DIY versions that have a built cost of $5 or $6.

That's the fun part of this hobby. You can get everything ready to work out of the box, build your own from the ground up and several points in between depending on your time and your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I know a lot of people look at a $200 controller and think that they want to make the most out of that thing. But really, is that wise? in your example, if you have something go wrong in tree 1, then trees 2-4 all go down too. If each tree is on it's own port, then only one tree goes out at a time. If each tree is on it's own single prop controller, even a whole controller can go bad and you still only lose one tree.
    Think of the actual price per port vs the cost of a prop. If a 16 port controller costs about $200. That's $12.50 per port. If you go the F48 + receiver route, then you're only at $9.66 per port. Is that a lot to spend per prop? That's less than the coro itself in most cases. Take the example of a $20 ESPixelStick. It's more money, but it's still well within the acceptable price range to include in a prop that's self sufficient. And that brings the added benefit of not needing any wires except a power connection at the prop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    You don't necessarily need waterproof strips for tube arches. The tube negates the need for the strip itself to be waterproof.

You can get them on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-Addre...0590637&sr=8-9
    Just looking back at this now are the lights from the above link individually addressable? The listing just says "Addressable" but it also says that one chip controls 3 LED's so I'm not sure. Most other listings specifically state that they are "Individually Addressable".

I'm going to use these for my arches which I'm starting to build now but wanted to make sure I ordered the right lights. I want to be able to control them individually and not in groups of 3, I'm not sure these are right.

Thanks
    -Russ
    Last edited by rsegreto; 04-06-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

repost in error....couldn't delete
    Last edited by rsegreto; 04-06-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember, a "pixel" is actually the controlling chip and how many LEDs that are connected to that chip. In most cases that is a single chip and 3 leds (one red, one green, one blue), but there are a lot of variations. Sometimes it is a chip and 3 LED packages (each package has a R,G,B element), other times it is a chip and 4 leds (R,G,B,W).
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so I'm assuming that since there is 1 controlling chip for every 3 LED packages (each with the three elements) then I can only control them in clusters of 3 and not individually correct?

-Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Your statement is too general and has no context.

• WS2811 based Pixels (bullet / Square) have a WS2811 chip and a tri color LED in one assembly (typically both are mounted on a small circuit board with a few additional components).
    • WS2811 based strips have one WS2811 chip and (typically) three or five tri-color LEDs per pixel.
    • WS2812 (and higher) based strips have a WS2811 chip and a single tri-color LED chip bound into a single package which is then mounted on a strip.

In these examples it is the WS2811 chip that is "the pixel" and is "addressable". The tri-color LEDs are attached to the WS2811 chip in various configurations. All tri-color LEDs attached to a given WS2811 chip will be showing the same color/intensity.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    All tri-color LEDs attached to a given WS2811 chip will be showing the same color/intensity.
    Thanks Martin, so your final statement above answers my question. Since the strips in the link have one WS2811 chip for 3 tri-colored LED's they are not "individually" addressable and I wouldn't be able to get the effects I'm looking for. I'll look for some individually addressable ones, I think that'll give the arches better clarity on the effects.

Thanks,
    -Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsegreto View Post
    I'm going to use these for my arches which I'm starting to build now but wanted to make sure I ordered the right lights. I want to be able to control them individually and not in groups of 3, I'm not sure these are right.
    Those linked strips are the 20/60 per meter.

FWIW. You will love them in arches. They might even be too atomic in arches. You might want to address each two pixels (6 LEDs) as one when you sequence. Individual control at such density in diffusion is not really a great look. If you ordered them, give them a try before a decision to return. 98% of the time in a an arch sequence, you want a nice blob of light to move along it. Having to get way down to the 1/2" control is too much control.

If you do want strip with individual control, look for ws2812b, ws2813 or ws2815.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Mike, I didn't think of the 1/2" control through the diffusion. I was more thinking that the more control you had the cleaner the effect would be but I can see how two pixels next to each other doing different things through the diffusion could get muddled anyway.

I do already have the lights for all 4 arches so might as well give them a shot and I can always just swap out the strips later on. I was concerned that my Kulp K8-PB would only control WS2811 lights since I didn't understand that the 2812b, 2813 or 2815's all use the 2811 chip and therefore wouldn't be a problem for my Kulp controller. There's constant learning opportunities with this hobby!!

Thanks,
    -Russ

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast