Thread: Problems / Questions with two different pixel strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Problems / Questions with two different pixel strings

Hello everyone,
    I am a total newbie just getting into this hobby. I started collecting some bits last year and have been reading a ton. A few weeks ago I managed to pickup what I think was an OK deal on some used holidaycoro gear. I got two of these kits for around $500. https://www.holidaycoro.com/Pixel-Ho...Bulb-p/821.htm. I also picked up a strip of 12v WS2811 pixels. I'm having an issue with one of the C9 sets from holidaycoro, and a seperate issue with the pixel strip. Any help / input would be great. All other C9 sets work as expected as do all ports on the alphapix controllers.

1. C9 set - the problem set works as expected for the first 65% of pixels. Then there is a single node that lights up an out-lier color and then every node after that only lights up blue. For example, I plug the set into the controller. I put the controller into test mode - RW Flash. The first 65% of the nodes flash red / white as expected. Then there is a node that is only green. then every node after the green only light up blue. It would seem to me that it's damaged, I'm just wondering how I might repair / test. I'm pretty handy with a multi-meter, etc so I'm not afraid to dig into it. But I didn't know if I should just cut the "Green" node out, or if I should try to hunt out a wire fault or what to look for.

2. The pixel strip. It's cheap-o, no name from china. Came with JST connectors. I mainly got just to test. I also purchased a set of xconnector pigtails. For testing purposes, I have the pigtail connected to the strip using wire nuts. The strip lights up, and changes colors, but the colors are not correct. RW Flash mode, flashes Blue and white. Static Red is Blue, Static Green is REd, Static Blue is Green, Static Yellow is Pink, Static Purple is Cyan, Static Cyan is yellow, Static White is white. I tried setting the controller to BGR but that didn't help. I can confirm that they are 2811 ICs. I have no idea why they are behaving this way in test mode. Maybe they are just junk??

Again, any / all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Problems / Questions with two different pixel strings

Most strips are NOT RGB. It sounds like your strip is BRG. Change your controller setting.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks @MartinMueller2003.
    I figured it out. On the alphapix controller I had to select "BRG" on the specific output under the "Pixel Chip Color Order" drop down. Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Most strips are NOT RGB. It sounds like your strip is BRG. Change your controller setting.
    Last edited by Starlight; 01-14-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    1. C9 set - the problem set works as expected for the first 65% of pixels. Then there is a single node that lights up an out-lier color and then every node after that only lights up blue. For example, I plug the set into the controller. I put the controller into test mode - RW Flash. The first 65% of the nodes flash red / white as expected. Then there is a node that is only green. then every node after the green only light up blue. It would seem to me that it's damaged, I'm just wondering how I might repair / test. I'm pretty handy with a multi-meter, etc so I'm not afraid to dig into it. But I didn't know if I should just cut the "Green" node out, or if I should try to hunt out a wire fault or what to look for.
    There are a few possibilities:
    1) The controller is configured for fewer pixels than actually exist in the string. You can eliminate this by putting a different string with the same number of pixels on the same controller output and trying again. It the new string only works for 65% (whatever that actual number is), then the controller is only configured for that number.
    2) The wire data wire between the "last good" and the "green" is not connected to one pixel or the other or is broken.
    3) The "green" pixel is bad in some way.
    4) The "last good" pixel is bad in some way.

Try 1) first.
    Verify 1)
    After you have done that, you should try 1) again
    For 2) through 4) the answer is the same:
    You could try to cut out only the "last good" or "green" pixel first and then splice the rest together and test. If that doesn't work, cut out the other one and splice the rest together and test again.
    A lot of people decide that is too much splicing (splices and the associated heat shrink use up the critical resource of wire length between pixels) and will just cut out both pixels to start with and splice the rest together and test. Some people will try to diagnose the other two and keep the good one for other use.