Thread: CG-1500 Adapter Plate

Post Thanks / Like

Default CG-1500 Adapter Plate

Hi All,

I'm just starting out and looking at enclosure now. The CG-1500 seems like a good choice to start, looking to hold a 30A PSU and a Kulp K8-PB. I've seen on HC's website and others mention the use of Adapter plates but looking at the picture of the CG-1500 it seems to already have a bunch of spots to mount different devices, see attached picture.

Couldn't I just use these instead of an actual mounting plate? or could I cut a piece of abs to fit the overall ID of the box and drill my own holes?
    I did find a Kulp plate from Wired Watts but that plus the CG-1500 costs $12 to ship which seems crazy!

Thanks,
    -Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CG-1500 Adapter Plate

The thrifty people around here go to the dollar store and get a "cutting board" to use as an adapter plate. You can use whatever you want! The pre-made ones can be nice since the holes are already drilled and overall plate cut to size. The shipping is likely not going to work out well though, unless it is an add-on to a bigger order. So... buy more stuff! :-) ...or just make your own.
    https://RudolphSearch.com - Making it easier to find info across the Christmas Light forums!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha thanks Dave! I'll check out the dollar store, need to go there to look for other items to build props anyway. $1 and drilling a few holes is worth not paying $12 in shipping at the moment.

Just starting out so I have grand plans, but think I need to keep budget in mind at the moment. Problem with that is it's only January so the budget will be forgotten come June and I'm sure I'll buy more

Thanks,
    -Russ

Post Thanks / Like

You can mount to the bosses on the CG-1500. Some controllers are sized for that. Some are not. And with power supplies you might have fun making the adapter needed. I would use some some sort of plate.

Post Thanks / Like

go to JDeation.com and use their Layout Program. He has the exact size and hole placement for most of the components used in this hobby and templates for a lot of the enclosures. With this design program, you can either have them manufacture the plate for you, OR print it out at home, attach it to your substrate, and cut/drill it yourself.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

I have used purchased adapter plates, 1/4 inch thick plastic cutting boards and 1/4 inch plywood. The adapter plates are the easiest but most expensive way to go. Cutting boards and plywood are very easy to work with and do a great job for little cost and only a bit of extra effort.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a few adapter plates over the years for various sized boxes when I made other orders with those vendors. Then I'd use them as drilling/cutting templates to make my own plates out of either acrylic or HDPE sheet. The bosses in the CG boxes are spaced kinda oddly. I found it easier to start from a template.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! That online layout program was perfect, I got it all set to print and I'll be running to the dollar store for a cutting board shortly!!

-Russ

Post Thanks / Like

For many years now I have used 1/4" plywood or Luan for my plates. This can be cut down to size with a knife or saw. Then when screwed in the box you can mound almost anything with small wood screws. If you are doing multiple boxes, one you have made one, you can use it as a template to make the rest.

- Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Clear plastic sheets work great for easily marking drill locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk