Thread: What to do with old LED lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do with old LED lights?

I've gone nearly 100% pixels this past year. I was previously 100% LED. The LED strings that are working 100% I am giving to friends and neighbors. But, what do I do with the LED strings that aren't working 100%? Is there a way to recycle them, or do I just take them to the dump? I also have an indoor Christmas tree that is prelit with warm white incans, but not all are working and my efforts to revive it only resulted in the wife buying a new tree. LOL Is there a way to recycle the tree also or does it go to the dump? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to do with old LED lights?

How about trying to revive the LED strings to see if that would lead your wife to buying more pixels?
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knightrohulk View Post
    I've gone nearly 100% pixels this past year. I was previously 100% LED. The LED strings that are working 100% I am giving to friends and neighbors. But, what do I do with the LED strings that aren't working 100%? Is there a way to recycle them, or do I just take them to the dump? I also have an indoor Christmas tree that is prelit with warm white incans, but not all are working and my efforts to revive it only resulted in the wife buying a new tree. LOL Is there a way to recycle the tree also or does it go to the dump? Thanks!
    When I was using LOR and had all LED string lights I took the non-working strings (mostly incan) and created extension cords out of them. There was a video on youtube that showed how to remove the bulbs and just keep the wiring and plugs. That way I can run much smaller cords to all of my LOR channels. I've since moved mostly to pixels as well so now I have several dozen of these extensions but still use a few of them with my AC LOR controllers for some traditional strings on bushes.

I remember years ago Home Depot/Lowes were accepting used strings for recycling. You can ask them if you are simply trying to keep them out of the landfill.

tim

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with using broken LED strings as extension cords. Also, you can snip the male/female plugs off both ends, along with as much wire as you can with it, and use those to attach to other twin wires later on.

Usually I find that I can cut up my non-working strings, add a current-limiting resistor on one of the wires (usually 100 ohms is plenty), apply a DC voltage to that section, and they work again. I always have use for lots of little strings of LED's. Many times it's the current driver on the string that goes out. Just cut it out and replace it with a resistor. Knowledge of basic Ohm's law and Kirchoff's is required.

Sometimes they can also be fixed with these repair guns, which work on both LED and incans: https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Min.../dp/B003YO273M . It's not always worth your time, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1pet2_9 View Post
    I agree with using broken LED strings as extension cords. Also, you can snip the male/female plugs off both ends, along with as much wire as you can with it, and use those to attach to other twin wires later on.

Usually I find that I can cut up my non-working strings, add a current-limiting resistor on one of the wires (usually 100 ohms is plenty), apply a DC voltage to that section, and they work again. I always have use for lots of little strings of LED's. Many times it's the current driver on the string that goes out. Just cut it out and replace it with a resistor. Knowledge of basic Ohm's law and Kirchoff's is required.

Sometimes they can also be fixed with these repair guns, which work on both LED and incans: https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Min.../dp/B003YO273M . It's not always worth your time, though.
    Not a good device for repairing LED light strings, will do more damage then good.

For LED's use this. https://www.ledkeeper.com/home/
    Inventor of the "LED Keeper"

My Videos [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry"]www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry[/URL]