Thread: Newbie controller question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie controller question.

Hi Folks
    So looking to start my first show this year and am looking at around 1000 pixels to start over various props and lines on the house. Been using XLights to build the show to date and have now started to buy hardware, pixels and props to spend the year putting it all together. One area im grey on is the controller, i want to go small in the first year and was looking at a

ESP Artstick Pi Hat with Pi Zero W + SD card

https://buildalightshow.com/pixel-co...w-sd-card.html

Its seems small enough, cost is alright and it can run 1000 pixels, question is will it be ok for 5v lights? Or what other options is there, would a 4 channel Kulp be a better option?

https://kulplights.com/product/k4-pb/

What's peoples thoughts? Reason i looked at the ESP is because I'm UK based and so are the company selling so it cuts the shipping cost out as with the Kulp i would need the Beagle and the OLED display along with a card and FPP.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie controller question.

The Pi hat you linked is pretty expensive. You can get one for $9.50 US but will have to check on shipping. I assume you can get a Pi Zero locally. You can also get a Pi Hat from PixelController or from here. All of these options would give you up to 1500 pixels with decent performance. If you plan to run more pixels at some point then the K4-PB and K8-PB are nice controllers. I run several controllers from Kulp Lights and will continue to use them. Whichever vendor you go with, I would recommend trying to standardize on one instead of collecting a mix of controllers from different places.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie controller question.

Thanks for the reply, the hat does come with a pi zero and FPP installed. I do like the Kulp controllers and as I'm planning to use LED floods in my display eventually then these may be a better idea for maybe next year as I want to start small this year and just focus on building some props and getting a basic show done for minimal cost.