Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary year for pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scary year for pixels

Are these meltdowns a problem with wire quality ? Too many impurities in the wire or lack of strands in the wire ?
    Or are these issues self inflicted by improper injection user error or user over taxing their hardware ?

I am happy to report 0 issues running Tls 3001 pixels @ 12v this year . I have run them at 5v for the past 6 years or so until I discovered they are good up until 17v (strings only) . The tls strips are 5v only but still no issues with them either .
    Following this thread .

Post Thanks / Like

The issues with the rash of pixels melting/scorching/burning is due to faulty/cheap epoxy being used by certain suppliers. The cheap epoxy that was used is cracking and failing which is allowing water to get into the pixel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjetzer View Post
    The issues with the rash of pixels melting/scorching/burning is due to faulty/cheap epoxy being used by certain suppliers. The cheap epoxy that was used is cracking and failing which is allowing water to get into the pixel.
    Ah , cutting costs and extending the epoxy with too many fillers .
    Calcium bicarbonate is real cheap per metric tonne.
    Many fiberglass outfits extend their resins this way and it lends itself to brittle products .
    Though it lower cost initially , the lesser quality product will be a higher cost in loss of reputation .

Or this may be a unknown bi-product of trying to increase production .
    Over promoting or over catalysing resins can cause them to fail also.
    Last edited by angus40; 01-07-2021 at 08:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry my ignorance but where is the epoxy being used? Is it the 'glue' that seals the entrance of the cable into the actual pixel? I would have expected that this is something that breaks down over several years and not within a year. Maybe I misunderstand or maybe it's just that bad so it doesn't even last for a month.

The main reason I am asking is because I am just starting out with displays for next year (our home is already very bright but no animation) so I am trying to figure out when/where to buy pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just getting started with pixels, and while I have been trying to understand how to power all these pixels safely and properly (wire gauge, fusing, load calc, etc...), I now realize that a lot of the hazard may be out of my hands (the lights themselves). Questions:

1) what is the recommended way to push pixels into a substrate (pvc pipe, coro, j-channel)?
    2) does anyone know how to determine if a pixel if of a substandard quality or should be returned / thrown away? vendors to steer towards or away from?

I don't mind paying for quality if it means my house doesn't burn to the ground. Especially b/c my first foray is to do my roofline, and fire there == bad.

Thanks,
    - pc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by puppycrack View Post
    I am just getting started with pixels, and while I have been trying to understand how to power all these pixels safely and properly (wire gauge, fusing, load calc, etc...), I now realize that a lot of the hazard may be out of my hands (the lights themselves). Questions:

1) what is the recommended way to push pixels into a substrate (pvc pipe, coro, j-channel)?
    2) does anyone know how to determine if a pixel if of a substandard quality or should be returned / thrown away? vendors to steer towards or away from?

I don't mind paying for quality if it means my house doesn't burn to the ground. Especially b/c my first foray is to do my roofline, and fire there == bad.

Thanks,
    - pc
    First thing to look at is the epoxy/resin on each node. Epoxy should'nt be soft and no visible way of water intrusion. I've been lucky I guess but I don't buy from Ray. One bad pixel last year out of 40k and no fires 100% 12v. I will say most of mine are older resistor pixels but issues to speak of. You ask for cheap pixels you get fires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by munu View Post
    Sorry my ignorance but where is the epoxy being used? Is it the 'glue' that seals the entrance of the cable into the actual pixel? I would have expected that this is something that breaks down over several years and not within a year. Maybe I misunderstand or maybe it's just that bad so it doesn't even last for a month.

The main reason I am asking is because I am just starting out with displays for next year (our home is already very bright but no animation) so I am trying to figure out when/where to buy pixels.
    In the below picture, I added a red line that shows where the resin is added to the pixel body. The manufacturers squirt or pour in the resin with the pixels held upside down, it dries/cures, and should be totally waterproof.

pixel.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    In the below picture, I added a red line that shows where the resin is added to the pixel body. The manufacturers squirt or pour in the resin with the pixels held upside down, it dries/cures, and should be totally waterproof.

pixel.jpg
    until you squeeze them the wrong way and cause a gap between the sleeve and the resin.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I purchased a first set from AliExpress and they came fairly fast (a week or so). https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...25ee4c4dP7SKOK Based on the picture from @MartinMueller2003 I tried to push a pin into the 'glue' between the shell and the LED/cable. It was very hard so I guess it's good quality. I haven't done much yet but I might be ordering from this vendor again.

Post Thanks / Like

See link in previous post...Are all WS2811 15 bit color? I assumed since we send it 256 values for each color it was 24 bit color. Of course, the description also says the pixels must be clocked by a microcontroller and that isn't the way we would usually say that about WS2811 pixels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast