Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary year for pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scary year for pixels

I know every year we read and see pictures of various fires or smoking pixels and rush to judgment on the vendor and the lack of QC from China.
    While this is a valid argument and quite possibly can be traced back to one or two offending vendors, I would also look at our "handling" of said pixels.
    Here is one thing i have noticed from pushing pixels this past year that I had not seen in previous years.
    I purchased 1500 pixels and planned to redo my old candy canes with the 99 count coro canes and a megatree star.
    Once I started pushing pixels I was in same boat as everyone else and had sore fingers (10mm coro is tough). Off to the 3D printer and I printed 3 different pixel pushers and tested each until i found the one that worked best.
    I started banging out the star in short order and noticed something.....While pressing in the pixels, the sleeve would separate from the epoxy. Not every time, but 20% or more.
    I knew this would cause issues so I stopped using the pusher and ordered a 12mm step bit from Aliexpress. When it came in, I drilled one side of the canes and this make pushing pixels a breeze.
    It was alot of extra prep and I had zero issues with water ingress on the canes BUT, I did see some intrusion on the pixels for the star.
    A bad component could be the root cause of all the issues this year, but perhaps the vendors should look at a better casing that bonds to the epoxy. The bullet casing could use a redesign....
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scary year for pixels

I know people are working on studying the fire cases this year. But couldn't help but think along similar lines. We do so much custom stuff with varying skill levels and knowledge about the impact of what we're doing that it's quite easy to cause hazardous situations. Everything from applying inappropriate pressure, to sketchy splices. Even just the density of some of the newer props makes me squirm a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know or have seen a video of how these pixels are installed for their original purposes commercially?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    Does anyone know or have seen a video of how these pixels are installed for their original purposes commercially?
    An bunch of old Chinese women with fingers that can crush walnuts working for $.001/pixel?

Post Thanks / Like

In all the commercial entertainment and architectural installations I've seen, I've never seen bullet or square nodes used. I've seen the larger pixels with threaded bulkheads used in amusement park applications. I've seen rectangular and square modules used in channel letter signs. I've seen many applications of pixel/led panels ranging from P1 all the way thru P40 pitches. I've seen pixel strip and neon flex used for lots of architectural applications. But never have I seen bullet or square nodes pushed into a substrate in a commercial application. (and I'm not counting commercialized projects that were born from ideas coming out of this community) I've always wondered what their primary application actually is.

Post Thanks / Like

I built a matrix this year with 1152 pixels, pushed every single one in by hand. It was very tedious but at least I knew I didn't damage any. I did however come across a few that were missing epoxy entirely and had to epoxy them myself.
    -Wife-certified nerd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    In all the commercial entertainment and architectural installations I've seen, I've never seen bullet or square nodes used. I've seen the larger pixels with threaded bulkheads used in amusement park applications. I've seen rectangular and square modules used in channel letter signs. I've seen many applications of pixel/led panels ranging from P1 all the way thru P40 pitches. I've seen pixel strip and neon flex used for lots of architectural applications. But never have I seen bullet or square nodes pushed into a substrate in a commercial application. (and I'm not counting commercialized projects that were born from ideas coming out of this community) I've always wondered what their primary application actually is.
    Wow. None?
    That begs the question as to why these were even developed.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Wow. None?
    That begs the question as to why these were even developed.
    Just for us?

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it don't you?

Maybe someone can ask Ray Wu next time they are chatting with him!??
    Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Just for us?

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it don't you?

Maybe someone can ask Ray Wu next time they are chatting with him!??
    Oh I totally agree. I'm just surprised I haven't yet run into them in another application that could be considered a "primary use"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast