Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: miniTree build suggestions wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Default miniTree build suggestions wanted

I'm looking to add/upgrade a few items for next season. I've not changed my layout in several years and I want to add a few more items

eaves trough pixels
    Large snowflake (pixels)
    singing bulbs/tree combo
    upgraded North Pole

MiniTrees are on my list as my incandescent bulbs cannot be found in the quantities required.

I can go retro and rebuild tomato cage mini's wrapped in C6 led strings using SSRoz 4 channel per tree
    OR
    I can try pixels

My display is 270 degree viewable to the public

Any images/suggestions for Minitrees would be appreciated.
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: miniTree build suggestions wanted

I'll follow this for suggestions for Mini Trees, but I would also like to recommend the StarFlake Spinner I designed a couple of years ago. The How To is in the Wiki as well as a Build Video from this summer's Virtual Christmas Summit. It might fit your need for the Large Snowflake, plus a whole lot more.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going pixels, there are a couple vendors that provide them. I bought the Boscoyo mini trees a few years ago and have loved them. 70 pixels (if you go full 360) each, 49 if you go for 270.

Post Thanks / Like

I changed mine this year. I was using tomato cages already and saw someone wrap the cage in chicken wire then do spirals with pixels
    and that's what I did as well. I really like the look. 100 pixels per tree. To me it's not a waste to wrap 360 as the ones on the backside
    I can see from the house and they just look GOOD! I used the 46" cages.
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

I use 42" tomato cages wrapped in chicken wire for my mini trees. They've made the transition from incans to dumb RGB and now pixels. I have 62 of them in the display with 100 pixels each spiral wrapped. minitrees.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I built non-pixel mini trees about 7 years ago. I didn't really like the narrow cone shape of the tomato cages so I built frames out of 1/2" PVC. I formed the base by heating and bending the bottom pieces using a jig so that I only needed T connectors. My display is only visible from the front (180 viewing) so I took the approach of using a "half" tree. This requires fewer lights to cover and as a bonus they can nest into each other to take up less space in storage. You could also do a full tree using the same design concept if desired.

Here are some pictures:
    Front and side view of PVC frame
    Wood jig for bending PVC
    PVC vs. Tomato Cage comparison

Jig template was added to post #31.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ppohlman; 02-01-2021 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added link to jig template.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ppohlman View Post
    I built non-pixel mini trees about 7 years ago. I didn't really like the narrow cone shape of the tomato cages so I built frames out of 1/2" PVC. I formed the base by heating and bending the bottom pieces using a jig so that I only needed T connectors. My display is only visible from the front (180 viewing) so I took the approach of using a "half" tree. This requires fewer lights to cover and as a bonus they can nest into each other to take up less space in storage. You could also do a full tree using the same design concept if desired.

Here are some pictures:
    • Front and side view of PVC frame
    • Wood jig for bending PVC
    • PVC vs. Tomato Cage comparison
    I like this suggestion! How long is each section of PVC pipe that you bent? Also how wide is the base and how tall?
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

I build two mini trees with strips and tomato cage. Gives a spiral tree look.

Spiral Trees.jpg IMG_20191208_235658_sm.png

Post Thanks / Like

I made the change this past year from LED to Pixel on my mini trees. I used tomato cages for my trees and Boscoyo Pixel strips to hold the lights. I figured on a height that I liked and then adjusted it slightly to match the strips. When I figured out the final height of the cage and rolled rings for the top of the cage. These rings were welded in and the remaining material cut off the top to complete the tree. I made my trees 180 degree sing they only faced the street. So in the end I have trees that are 16 pixels high, 2 inch spacing, and 8 rows wide for a total of 128 pixels each. I built a total of 8 trees, one that goes under each of my arches. By using the strips the pixels are all aligned and the trees work like a matrix so patterns are easier to do. I can also scroll letters in them to spell words. They were a great addition to my display. Pictures can be provided if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever think about using an upside down fan trellis for mini trees?

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...2308967&ipos=1

https://www.lowes.com/pd/24-in-W-x-4...lis/1002647750
    Last edited by NDNS00ner; 01-06-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast