Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PEI and Ender 3 Pro ... almost there .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PEI and Ender 3 Pro ... almost there .

Well this is about as good as it gets without a premium first layer or a base to build on .

My final solution to the Ender machine bed issues was solved by a Canadian outfit in Calgary Alberta.

I bet they like me were frustrated to wits end with these issues .
    They have heat-bed replacement that is not cheap or in stock atm but most likely
    solves these bed leveling and crappy printing issues .

I will purchase one of their beds to see for myself

Ender Heat bed solution -> here

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PEI and Ender 3 Pro ... almost there .

My Energenic PEI beds arrived this morning. I’m really glad I ordered them with magnets. Their mags are thicker than Creality’s. So much that the surface won’t reach the print head if you don’t replace the magnetic sheet. Having lunch, then I’m gonna tackle replacing the stock magnet. I’ll save the protective film from the 3M magnets and use it to keep the stock magnet safe.

As you were discussing, Creality’s print beds aren’t all the same. The one that came with the E3P, already has places were the top surface is tearing off. The other one I have from the E5P works great. I’ll let you know how this all turns out...

Jeff
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll be very happy with the energetic spring steel magnetic beds.
    You can see the quality is MUCH better that creality stock.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Being Diy , I am going to go down this path to correct the Ender 3 pro heatbed short comings.

For my 3rd printer I will go with the PRUSA I3 MK3S and add the multi upgrade .

Post Thanks / Like

Got the magnet replaced. The original didn’t survive. They stretch when you peel them. The PEI sheet on spring steel works wonders. I reprinted a couple things, and I’m amazed how the bed improves the overall quality of the print. A very nice improvement over the crappy Creality bed.

Jeff
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple days printing with PEI and I’m finding a couple things that bother me. First, when petg sticks it sticks for good. So well that it takes little pieces of the PEI sheet with it when it comes free. I’ve tried letting it cool normally. In this case it bonds hard to the sheet and is really difficult to get it to release. For small detailed parts, this is suicide. I’ve waited just a few minutes and used the flex of the sheet to get it to come loose. This has been the best bet so Far. I’ve tried placing the entire sheet and part in the freezer for a few minutes. This is really the only way I can get small detailed parts to release. But I have to let it get pretty cold then quickly roll the sheet to get a corner to come loose, then get a scraper under the part. I can see each part taking tiny patches of the surface of the bed after each print that’s difficult to release. Last night I broke a key piece off a 13 hour print. As much as it pained my OCD, I caved and superglued it back. I’ve picked it up and put it in the recycle then returned it to it’s place on the lighthouse about 20 times. I know I’ll eventually reprint. I can’t help myself. The last thing I’ve tried that works best but is messy as all get out. Elmers purple glue stick. I coat the surface of the sheet in the areas I believe it will print. After the print the part slips right off, and I clean the bed with IPA. It sticks just fine during the print with the purple glue. So this is what I’ve been doing with small delicate parts as they don’t get damaged in the release. Large parts like the body of the lighthouse weren’t a problem at all. After the print ended it was anywhere from a half hour to several hours before I lifted them and they came right off. If I leave smaller things setting for say an hour or two... they seem to hard bond to the PEI sheet. It’s frustrating as heck, but the workarounds are worth it as I haven’t lost a single print since switching from the stock bed. The PEI is much better than the bed that came with the printer, but it’s not the be all end all. I’m taking the advice of others and I’ll try the glass next. But it’ll be a while. I’m in the dog house for all the spending. I have the BLTouch in hand. The SKR mini e3 V2.0 is coming Thursday I think. And there are 15 rolls of filament on the shelf waiting to be turned into something fun.

I’m impressed with the E5P. I’d buy a second. The E3P not so much, even though it’s better with the PEI sheet.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,
    I didn't understand this statement. ESP ? E3P ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Millard View Post

Iím impressed with the E5P. Iíd buy a second. The E3P not so much, even though itís better with the PEI sheet.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    Jeff,
    I didn't understand this statement. ESP ? E3P ?
    Ender 3 pro
    Ender 5 pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post
    Ender 3 pro
    Ender 5 pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Millard View Post
    A couple days printing with PEI and I’m finding a couple things that bother me. First, when petg sticks it sticks for good. So well that it takes little pieces of the PEI sheet with it when it comes free. I’ve tried letting it cool normally. In this case it bonds hard to the sheet and is really difficult to get it to release. For small detailed parts, this is suicide. I’ve waited just a few minutes and used the flex of the sheet to get it to come loose. This has been the best bet so Far. I’ve tried placing the entire sheet and part in the freezer for a few minutes. This is really the only way I can get small detailed parts to release. But I have to let it get pretty cold then quickly roll the sheet to get a corner to come loose, then get a scraper under the part. I can see each part taking tiny patches of the surface of the bed after each print that’s difficult to release. Last night I broke a key piece off a 13 hour print. As much as it pained my OCD, I caved and superglued it back. I’ve picked it up and put it in the recycle then returned it to it’s place on the lighthouse about 20 times. I know I’ll eventually reprint. I can’t help myself. The last thing I’ve tried that works best but is messy as all get out. Elmers purple glue stick. I coat the surface of the sheet in the areas I believe it will print. After the print the part slips right off, and I clean the bed with IPA. It sticks just fine during the print with the purple glue. So this is what I’ve been doing with small delicate parts as they don’t get damaged in the release. Large parts like the body of the lighthouse weren’t a problem at all. After the print ended it was anywhere from a half hour to several hours before I lifted them and they came right off. If I leave smaller things setting for say an hour or two... they seem to hard bond to the PEI sheet. It’s frustrating as heck, but the workarounds are worth it as I haven’t lost a single print since switching from the stock bed. The PEI is much better than the bed that came with the printer, but it’s not the be all end all. I’m taking the advice of others and I’ll try the glass next. But it’ll be a while. I’m in the dog house for all the spending. I have the BLTouch in hand. The SKR mini e3 V2.0 is coming Thursday I think. And there are 15 rolls of filament on the shelf waiting to be turned into something fun.

I’m impressed with the E5P. I’d buy a second. The E3P not so much, even though it’s better with the PEI sheet.

Jeff
    I am thinking that your nozzle is way too close to the bed surface while you are printing , too hot or both.
    I use a sheet of printer paper to set the bed level on each corner the clean nozzle just barely skims the paper.
    I do this bed level twice to make certain it is perfect .
    I home the print head between the 2 tests .
    This is basically how I set endmills on my CNC also .
    Last edited by angus40; 01-06-2021 at 03:26 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast