Thread: Planning and research for next year and looking at FPP Master and Remote setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning and research for next year and looking at FPP Master and Remote setup

I am starting to plan for next year (Christmas 2021) and our show will be bigger (I am hoping). I am planning on splitting my display to run part on 2 RPi, one master and one remote, all the displays will be ran from a single sequence and audio. So does the sequence and audio file have to be on both the master and remote. So how does this all work? Can the remote run with a different sequence and audio file than the master at the same time?
    Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Planning and research for next year and looking at FPP Master and Remote setup

I did that for my display this year! Super easy to set up. I do not believe that the remote can run a different sequence. I had 2 arduino getting serial data from the master and a 3rd arduino getting serial data from the remote. All playing the same sequence. Good luck in your planning!
    2020: First automated display
    - Home built Arduino controllers, 80ch
    - RPI 4 running FPP
    - All "dumb" strands
    - 4 singing trees
    YouTube Playlist

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Planning and research for next year and looking at FPP Master and Remote setup

The sequences on the master and slave don't have to be the same file, but they need to have the same name and duration. You can put only the channels that are relevant for each remote into those files.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    The sequences on the master and slave don't have to be the same file, but they need to have the same name and duration. You can put only the channels that are relevant for each remote into those files.
    Awesome, that is really good to know! Thanks for the clarification.
    2020: First automated display
    - Home built Arduino controllers, 80ch
    - RPI 4 running FPP
    - All "dumb" strands
    - 4 singing trees
    YouTube Playlist

Post Thanks / Like

You don't need audio on the remote. You only need audio on the device that is going to play your audio.

The remote would not be a remote if it was doing something entirely different than the master. But there is nothing wrong with two standalone if that is what you want.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also export a sparse sequence file from xlights to your remotes that only has the info that is need for that remote location.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay jchuchla, you just confused me. How do you put only the channels that are relevant for each remote into those files? I use Vixen and there is not a lot of info out there on how to do stuff and most documents for Vixen are out dated or hard to understand. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

tomas041857 - create your two different sequences (one for your main, one for your remote) They must be of the same length and will have the same name. (There is a point in naming that you may have something different to distinguish them, but I'll have to find that to pass it along.)

When a master sends the sync message all it is sending is a "I am playing this selection and I am at this point in time". The remote accepts this, checks to make sure it has the selection (if not already playing it) and then goes to that point in the file. Even if the two files are completely different, with the same name, they will both play.

You will hear about sequencers creating "sparse files" for each instance. Essentially the sequencer is creating two different files - each with only the data that is needed by each instance of FPP. Since they were created from the same instance within the sequencer, they match in name and length. An easy way to create both of your different files is to do it in the sequencer, at the same time. When the sparse files are created, you have your two different files.

And yes, the explanation hides how easy it really is.
    Last edited by algerdes; 12-29-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    Live, Laugh, Love.