Thread: Stepper motor?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stepper motor?

Is it possible to directly operate a stepper motor with an Arduino Uno? Say you wanted to use a stepper to roll a part on a cable out to a location, then bring it back. Either triggering it to do so with an input, or having a program that does everything.

Iím just brainstorming a couple props Iím interested in making, and I want them to be controlled and not autonomous dumb things.

Jeff
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stepper motor?

Yes you can do this indirectly The arduino could poll an input and execute a function via output gpio to an H-bridge or equivalent to drive the stepper .

Come to think of it , I may have directly controlled a stepper with an esp8266 . Would have to check my sketch .
    Last edited by angus40; 12-24-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Millard View Post
    Is it possible to directly operate a stepper motor with an Arduino Uno? Say you wanted to use a stepper to roll a part on a cable out to a location, then bring it back. Either triggering it to do so with an input, or having a program that does everything.

I’m just brainstorming a couple props I’m interested in making, and I want them to be controlled and not autonomous dumb things.

Jeff
    H bridge. You can buy stepper motor drivers for like $2 from China. I have a couple they work great!
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Great. I just looked up a couple YouTubes. The Uno can be connected to the A4988 driver. There’s all sorts of code available too. I’ve never programmed, so this should be fun. I ordered a couple things, as I’m stuck at work waiting for high winds in NJ tonight. Merry Christmas indeed. Thank you for the insight. I hope tweaking the code to get it to do what I’m after isn’t hard.

Jeff
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

There's an arduino based firmware called GRBL which is the basis for many CNC machines like routers and 3d Printers. So definitely yes, an arduino can control steppers, Which hardware you need between the stepper and the arduino will vary depending on the stepper type. (bipolar, unipolar).

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

Jeff