Thread: 24v Hammacher Schlemmer tree seems unsafe

Post Thanks / Like

Default 24v Hammacher Schlemmer tree seems unsafe

I bought this little tree from Hammacher Schlemmer while I researched and started on my way with pixels this year.

It uses 24v and this is what it looks like when you hit power off on the remote. Most goes off but this looks like a crazy set of shorts.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1342128908712333313

Anyone know what could be causing this? Water is my guess, but at power off, how is there still power getting to the tree?

Also, does anyone think I could bastardize it for use with a picap? Just get the 24v as the power to the + and join the grounds and let the picap do the data? If it is already like this what do I have to lose? Sacrifice a picap and pi is worst case scenario in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 24v Hammacher Schlemmer tree seems unsafe

Clearly, the power is not off. Not really.
    How long does this activity go on?
    If only for a few seconds, then it could be a capacity bleeding off, but if it keeps on going, then the controller / power section has a fault for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by g0189a View Post
    I bought this little tree from Hammacher Schlemmer while I researched and started on my way with pixels this year.

It uses 24v and this is what it looks like when you hit power off on the remote. Most goes off but this looks like a crazy set of shorts.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1342128908712333313

Anyone know what could be causing this? Water is my guess, but at power off, how is there still power getting to the tree?

Also, does anyone think I could bastardize it for use with a picap? Just get the 24v as the power to the + and join the grounds and let the picap do the data? If it is already like this what do I have to lose? Sacrifice a picap and pi is worst case scenario in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

This happened all night long. How I found it in the morning. The other lights are on purposely. This one was not.

Post Thanks / Like

There's lots of devices these days where off doesn't really mean off, it just means standby. That being said, I would expect it to be dark when it's off/standby. Maybe the off button just kills the control board stopping the data and the noise is free to take over and makes the random stuff happen.

24v isn't particularly unsafe. Your headline is a bit sensational. We're well within the class 3 wiring category which is generally safe to touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.
    It's got a power logic issue.
    I'd ask for a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by g0189a View Post
    This happened all night long. How I found it in the morning. The other lights are on purposely. This one was not.

Post Thanks / Like

Its the gremlins man