Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: about combining FPP with universes (i use ESP8266).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: about combining FPP with universes (i use ESP8266).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    30m cat5/6/7 is fine. Well within specs and should work good.
    While such a distance is within the electrical spec, it is a physical hazard. In this case we are talking about a wire that will transition from inside the home, through an egress point and then outside. Can you ensure no one will trip on it and that no door or window will crush the cable? In my area, open windows are a no-no (hence a non transition solution). That means the cable is exposed to people and (in the northeast) radical temperature differentials. Shorter cable is always better. Using the dual PI model has no cables going between inside and outside.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the jerkiness problem still exists in my case when my boys and girls come home from school and they use their TVs and their laptops and tablets, then the lights are still occasionally there was a jerky and even pause for a few seconds and continued to run, but the sound was always smooth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoangtruong View Post
    I feel the jerkiness problem still exists in my case when my boys and girls come home from school and they use their TVs and their laptops and tablets, then the lights are still occasionally there was a jerky and even pause for a few seconds and continued to run, but the sound was always smooth
    And now you know why many people use a dedicated show network. This is also telling you that you have not increased the multicast/broadcast bandwidth enough on your AP.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how I can increase the AP's transmit bandwidth since that is from the internet service provider

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoangtruong View Post
    I don't know how I can increase the AP's transmit bandwidth since that is from the internet service provider
    And this is why I dont use my ISPs equipment. You may want to set up a seperate network AP to drive your ESPs. You can still connect it to your house wired network but once you have your own equipment, you can tune it to work with the ESPs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    While such a distance is within the electrical spec, it is a physical hazard. In this case we are talking about a wire that will transition from inside the home, through an egress point and then outside. Can you ensure no one will trip on it and that no door or window will crush the cable? In my area, open windows are a no-no (hence a non transition solution). That means the cable is exposed to people and (in the northeast) radical temperature differentials. Shorter cable is always better. Using the dual PI model has no cables going between inside and outside.
    This is what I did. Not saying it is good for anyone here though. When I run a cat5 out of the computer room to a device outside I use a piece of foam rubber made for water pipe insulation to make a seal under the window and cat 5 and the foam provides protection to the cat 5 and keeps cold air out side. I also put a piece of foam the width the window in the space between the two panes at the middle where the two panes are separated to keep air from entering and exiting. Then I cut 2 Dow rods the length from the top of the window frame to the top of the lower window section to lock the window in place on both sides. This works for me in my situation and I don't have to drill any holes thru the wall. Protect the cable by running it thru PVC pipe if foot traffic is a problem at your home.
    Last edited by 11Bravo; 12-30-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123