Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: about combining FPP with universes (i use ESP8266).

Post Thanks / Like

Default about combining FPP with universes (i use ESP8266).

Hi everybody!
    I already have a Raspberry Pi 3 zero W board and some ESP8266 ICs, basically with the esp8266, the raspberry has FPP installed, combined with the Xlights I have enough to be able to do some LED slideshows with sound yet? Or am I missing something else? Looking forward to the advice from everyone, thank you all!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: about combining FPP with universes (i use ESP8266).

If all you have is the ESP8266 IC then you need lots more. If you have an ESP based Pixelstick/Pixelpop or NodeMCU module etc then all you need to add is some pixels. A slideshow implies high resolution. How big is your display element? How many pixels? The ESPixelStick software has a limit of a bit over 1000 pixels. You might need a few of them if your pixel density is greater than that. And you need a power supply big enough to power all of your pixels.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

thank you, i already have about 4,000 pixels, however i only use more than 2000 pixels, nodeMCU flashed espixelstick about 12 ones, what's important is i don't know how i can control from Pi zero W or Pi 3 + mine with my favorite music ... I find out that people use falcon f16v3 board, I don't have it.

Post Thanks / Like

your player sends e1.31 traffic that the esps pick up and convert to pixel data streams

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

You should do some more reading regarding the type of controllers that are available. Here is a good source to get an idea of different ways to put together a light show system - https://auschristmaslighting.com/wik...sLighting-101/.

Basically, you can run a show with nodeMCUs and the Pi Zero. These are Wi-Fi devices and take a lot of bandwidth. If you have them connected to your home network you may see some congestion. A lot of people use a separate network for their Christmas light show. The manual above gives some examples. You do not need a F16v3 unless you feel that it will fill a part of your show. Many people use a combination of controllers depending on the type of props they are controlling. Once you make the investment into one type of controller you may end up buying a different type of controller the next time. They usually are independent of each other and can work well together in a system.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    your player sends e1.31 traffic that the esps pick up and convert to pixel data streams
    Thanks to Martin, I just installed the FPP on the Ras Pi4 and tested with about 100 LEDs from the ESP8266 with Espixeltick firmware, and it was a bit jerky when running, not smooth, you and someone have had problems. this? and how to fix it?

Post Thanks / Like

There are a ton of discussions on this topic. Most likely you set up unicast E1.31. ESPs typically use multicast E1.31 data stream. Next you need to tune your AP to give broadcast/multicast traffic more bandwidth. You did not mention how far from the AP you located your ESP. Distance (aka signal quality) matters. Wireless congestion matters. While very powerful devices, the ESPs in a show need a clean (or dedicated) wireless environment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    There are a ton of discussions on this topic. Most likely you set up unicast E1.31. ESPs typically use multicast E1.31 data stream. Next you need to tune your AP to give broadcast/multicast traffic more bandwidth. You did not mention how far from the AP you located your ESP. Distance (aka signal quality) matters. Wireless congestion matters. While very powerful devices, the ESPs in a show need a clean (or dedicated) wireless environment.
    This is the home network system I am using, except for some handsets such as phones, tablets are not listed ..... 2 ESPpixeltick tried to activate multicast still seemed to be jerky ... I tested my network connection to over 50Mbps.
    4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

The hub is a bottleneck get a switch !

Post Thanks / Like

Can you say clearer? I don't fully understand because English is not fluent

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast