Thread: ASAP Sr Mounting depth question

Post Thanks / Like

Default ASAP Sr Mounting depth question

I will not be using a portable base. I am going to put a permanent base into the ground. I am going to have a 14' mega tree. I will cement a 3' post in the ground that the ASAP Sr main pole goes in. I can cap that off during the off season with a yard decoration. That will leave 7' above ground for the main pole. The inner pole would be extended 7' out to the top (give or take).

My question is whether 3' into the ground is overkill or just right? Is 3' of the inner pole enough to be stable? I will use a 3 or 4 wire stabilization for safety. I am just trying to determine overkill versus safety.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ASAP Sr Mounting depth question

;-)
    Depth of foundation formula:- as per Rankine's theory & formula minimum depth of foundation is represented by formula = p/w (1-sin Φ /1+sin Φ) 2, where p=gross bearing capacity, w =density of s
    oil, Φ =angle of response of soil.
    https://civilsir.com/what-is-minimum...nkine-formula/

In my opinion after looking over many residential flagpole instructions, 3 feet should be good for a 14 fooot tree. I think you thought it through - especially if you guy it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did something similar this year. Instead of making the base portable, i just put it in the ground, so the top is flush (or slightly under) with the ground. I had a piece of PVC 4' in the ground that ended up partially filled with concrete. I cut the PVC a little lower in the ground than the base would be. On top of the PVC pipe, i put a galvanized coupler, then a galvanized extension, 6" i think, then the top coupler that the main pole goes into. The top coupler is about at ground level, then when the tree comes down, i will add anti-seize and a galvanized threaded plug. I do have a guy wire attached, and my tree is about 20'.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben&bobbi View Post
    I just did something similar this year. Instead of making the base portable, i just put it in the ground, so the top is flush (or slightly under) with the ground. I had a piece of PVC 4' in the ground that ended up partially filled with concrete. I cut the PVC a little lower in the ground than the base would be. On top of the PVC pipe, i put a galvanized coupler, then a galvanized extension, 6" i think, then the top coupler that the main pole goes into. The top coupler is about at ground level, then when the tree comes down, i will add anti-seize and a galvanized threaded plug. I do have a guy wire attached, and my tree is about 20'.
    Do you have any photos of your base you could post here?