Thread: Caps for 3-wire waterproof connectors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Caps for 3-wire waterproof connectors

I just posted a design for some caps I made for my 3-wire waterproof connectors at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4690726

The OpenSCAD script is used to create caps to go on the connectors to protect them when not being used. The default values work on the connectors I have but they are some unknown brand that I bought off eBay a bunch of years ago. All the values are customizable so you can change them to match the cables you have.

20201219_200724424_iOS - Copy.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Caps for 3-wire waterproof connectors

Thanks for these. I will give them a try. Hopefully they will fit my Ray Wu connectors.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they will work. All the variables are customizable if you use OpenSCAD and download the threads library (both are free). I found out that the online customizer at Thingiverse does not work because it does not have the threads library. If you don't want to install those but need a new STL file with different parameters I can create a new STL if you send me the measurements.

Here are the parameters the design asks for;
    OpenSCAD parameters.png

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to follow up after I printed the caps. They are almost perfect for the Ray Wu style end connectors. The male cap (external threads) fits great, but the female (internal threads) is just a bit too loose to to fully grab the male threads and lock on tight. I'm thinking the tolerance of the female cap threads could be reduced by 0.2mm to 0.4mm and it should be good. Unfortunately, I'm a Fusion 360 user, not an OpenSCAD user. Would you be willing to make a new file with a 0.2 reduction on the female cap internal diameter?

Post Thanks / Like

I added three stl files to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4690726, one with the internal thread set to 18.2 (the original was 18.4), another has 18.0 and the third is 17.8. I hope one of those work for you, if not it is easy to generate mods if you need them,

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! For the Ray Wu style ends, the male cap works great at 18.4 and the female cap works great at 18.2.