Thread: Mega(Mid?) Tree Question - Future Build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega(Mid?) Tree Question - Future Build

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NavyGator View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about building my first pixel display item to use next year. I have a height of 9 feet with a 6 foot diameter base in mind with a 180 degree viewing angle. The viewing distance for the tree would be around 20 to 30 feet or a little closer if someone is on the sidewalk.

Do any of you have experience with staggering pixels toward the top of the tree to keep them from bunching up or is that a bad idea? If it is a bad idea does it have to do with sequencing or something else?

What recommendation do you guys have for pixel spacing? I have thought about 1, 2 or 3 inch spacing.

What recommendations do you have on the number of strings? 16 seems like it might not be enough but 24 seems like it might be too much. Does, what appears to be, the old rule of increasing string count by 8 even matter with pixels? If so, why?

I am thinking of building the tree out of EMT and EMT fittings so I hopefully won't need to use guy wires. The main pole would be 1.25 or 1.5 EMT or rigid EMT and the rest of the structure would be 1/2 inch EMT. EMT hangers and straps would be repurposed to join all pieces together in a manner that allow the 4 long and 4 short supports to fold against the main pole for storage. The base would be made in 8 sections for separate storage.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Rich

Rich,

This was my first year in pixels. Welcome to the club. I did a tree pretty close to what you described. The height was around 8 feet and the base was a 6ft diameter. It is a 180 with 24 strings (50 pixels each - 2 in spacing) for a total of 1,200 pixels. It is probably 30ft from the street. I don't think it looks fat at all. In fact a little wider (in my opinion) is better for some effect and laying video/text across it. For my first crack at it I think it came out great. I would certainly recommend going thicker than the 3/4 in EMT I used as a center pole. The weight of all of these pixels is causing a slight bend at the top. I'm hoping it can hang in there until new years ... lol. I will definitely re-engineer this for next year. The pixel trees to the side are 5ft for context.

https://youtu.be/nBR2m93CH-8

I am very happy with the density. I actually started with a plan for a 12 string tree and then immediately went inside and ordered more pixels after watching one sequence. It's the centerpiece of most shows so don't skimp here.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curtinti View Post
    Rich,

This was my first year in pixels. Welcome to the club. I did a tree pretty close to what you described. The height was around 8 feet and the base was a 6ft diameter. It is a 180 with 24 strings (50 pixels each - 2 in spacing) for a total of 1,200 pixels. It is probably 30ft from the street. I don't think it looks fat at all. In fact a little wider (in my opinion) is better for some effect and laying video/text across it. For my first crack at it I think it came out great. I would certainly recommend going thicker than the 3/4 in EMT I used as a center pole. The weight of all of these pixels is causing a slight bend at the top. I'm hoping it can hang in there until new years ... lol. I will definitely re-engineer this for next year. The pixel trees to the side are 5ft for context.

https://youtu.be/nBR2m93CH-8

I am very happy with the density. I actually started with a plan for a 12 string tree and then immediately went inside and ordered more pixels after watching one sequence. It's the centerpiece of most shows so don't skimp here.

Tim
    Thanks Tim. The wife and I are excited about this with our plan of working all year to get ready. She alsoikes that I am asking her what display items she would like.

We are gonna go in kind of heavy with our initial order from Ray. Probably 31 strings of 100 nodes and 11 2.5m 32pixel per meter strips.

Ideally I will try and document our mid tree build. I am trying to think about a topper design to mount all of the strips to the top of the tree and keep it relatively pointed.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing a similar 180 tree that will be 10' tall, 5' base, 16 strands of 60 pixels. My question is, do I really need a 2 pole ratcheting system or can I just use 2 each 5' poles screwed together and then screwed into a 180 lb base?
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

Four of our trees, 2 each at 12 feet and 2 each at 14 feet, are just "stand ups". Solid pole up the center with a topper connected at the top. We literally load the pixel strips and the topper, then walk them up into their bases. I will admit that the 14 footers became a bit "challenging" when we went from 180 degree trees (16 strips) to 270 degree trees (30 strips), but we are still able to put them up and take them down for any maintenance required. Usually with just one person, but two really helps.

For us the point of concern is anything 16 feet or above regardless of being 180, 270 or even 360. These get either a solid pole (stood up on its own) with a pulley system on top and then crank up the pixels, or use something like an ASAP pole, with the crank up sections.

I don't, personally, see any need to crank up a 10 footer. Then again, I've been standing trees up for a long time now. Other opinions may vary.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I just mentioned a 2 piece for ease of storage. It will be 16 strips this year and possible 32 next for a 360 tree. Can only talk the wife out of so much money per season.

Toying with a 4' diameter base or a 3'? Got Holiday Coro PixNode Extreme custom 2" space strip roll arriving Monday. 176'
    Last edited by TomsLEDs; 07-31-2021 at 02:27 AM.
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. Didn't mention it, but both the 14 and the 12 foot tree center poles break down into approximately half their height for storage. We use pins to join them, and must remember to lubricate them before we put them up so they will come apart easier.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, some anti-seize compound once a year should do it.
    Love LEDs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12