Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MegaTree Plans - Pixel Density

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MegaTree Plans - Pixel Density

Sorry duplicate

Post Thanks / Like

What did you use as a topper? Where did you buy it?

Post Thanks / Like

I got out and did some measuring to see where I can finagle the tree location and how far back. A lot of what I am planning will be 100% dependent on the gas line location. Depend on where that is located will determine my limitations. I wan to be at least 2 feet to either side of it. I will be cementing the ASAP Sr base into the ground 2-3'. If I have to go right more, then the tree covers part of the house. If I have to go left too far, I encroach the property line. That gas line location is going to play a huge role in this whole thing.

From where I am guesstimating the location, I have measured it to be 38' to my sidewalk. It will be ~75' to the other side sidewalk and 50-60' from the road (depends on which way they drive). Because I will be cementing the base into the ground, I may be limiting the height of the tree. If I go with 100 pixels per strand, that is 16.5" tall. 3' buried leaves me having to do the 2 stage ASAP Sr. If I go with 85 pixels, I can go with a 14' tree. That would be 3' of the bottom pole buried and 3' of the inner pole braced for a single stage setup.

Current Plan:
    14' Mega Tree
    24 Strands of 85 pixels at 2" spacing (too expensive to go smaller)
    ASAP Sr pole
    4 Channels (6 strands per channel for a total of 510 pixels per channel)

Post Thanks / Like

Good info in this thread. This is also my 1st Mega tree and have been doing research around the net. A lot of builds for this size tree don't have a lot of tension support for the light strips. I see them moving in the wind. I will definitely use a metal support ring at the base. So now I'm thinking either use a cable support system or go with a ring in the middle? Would need a lot of SS cable to rig that up and pandemic pricing of materials is insane. I have several different welders in my garage, so I can fab anything I desire. Has anyone done a middle support ring? If so can you post a pic please? An added thought: If a ring alone was used there could be a hump effect in the strands. Thinking to tack weld 6" metal strips on the ring matching the angle of the tree. The other thought would be to pin them so they swivel and would naturally match the angle without having to precisely match it.
    Last edited by TomsLEDs; 07-31-2021 at 03:43 PM.
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomsLEDs View Post
    Good info in this thread. This is also my 1st Mega tree and have been doing research around the net. A lot of builds for this size tree don't have a lot of tension support for the light strips. I see them moving in the wind. I will definitely use a metal support ring at the base. So now I'm thinking either use a cable support system or go with a ring in the middle? Would need a lot of SS cable to rig that up and pandemic pricing of materials is insane. I have several different welders in my garage, so I can fab anything I desire. Has anyone done a middle support ring? If so can you post a pic please? An added thought: If a ring alone was used there could be a hump effect in the strands. Thinking to tack weld 6" metal strips on the ring matching the angle of the tree. The other thought would be to pin them so they swivel and would naturally match the angle without having to precisely match it.
    I believe several factors will affect how much your light strings will move in the wind. Without knowing all the specifics on an individuals MT design, it's a hard to know what the options might be to minimize light string movement created by wind. I use a 30' ASAP pole with a metal topper and a metal base ring from an old trampoline. The trampoline ring is anchored to the ground in 5 locations and this has worked well for 4 years. I have 32 Boscoyo strips on my 180 degree tree. I am able to get my Boscoyo strips pretty snug with the ASAP pole winch. But then I may not have wind speeds that you might encounter at your location. I thought about some of the same ideas you had to minimize my strings movements even more. What I ultimately did was to run a Boscoyo strip horizontally at about the 7' level on my MT strips and zip tie the horizontal strip to each of the 32 vertical light strings, keeping each string separated with an equal distance. This was a lot easier for me to do and it avoided added a middle ring, cabling, ect. Just wanted to throw that out there. Again based on your situation, my solution may not work for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12