Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MegaTree Plans - Pixel Density

Post Thanks / Like

Default MegaTree Plans - Pixel Density

I know the calculator is very good to use for planning. My question is more of a realistic question...pixel density. I will be doing a 12' tree. 180 degree, 6' diameter (based on the 50% rule, 2" spacing. This is where my density question comes into play. Is it better to have 24, 20, or 16 strings?

I would rather do this right once than do it wrong and have to redo it. If I go with 24 strings, I am looking at ~3,600 pixels (that will give me an emergency string if once goes out). I am not sure with that would be too dense or if it is better to go with 20 or 16 strings.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MegaTree Plans - Pixel Density

Depends on the distance for viewing. The closer the distance the more density. I have a 20 32 100 pixel strings on a 270 degree tree. But I have a fairly close viewing area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TSL View Post
    Depends on the distance for viewing. The closer the distance the more density. I have a 20 32 100 pixel strings on a 270 degree tree. But I have a fairly close viewing area.
    Viewing distance is the key here. I would post what your viewing distance will be and you will probably get feed back on what others have done with their Mega tree setups. My Mega Tree is 180 degrees, 30' tall, 32 strings, and sits 175' back from the road. I'm happy with my pixel density at the distance. But if the tree was closer, I would be adding more strings based on the viewing distance.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in planning stages only so far. That means there is a lot that can change or be updated before I even make a first purchase. My street has 2 sidewalks: my side 12-18 feet and unrealistic) and the other side of the street (~40 feet and much better for viewing the house). I am trying to get a few initial things answered or at least to do more research.

Height Questions: Did anyone go with 10' and be upset for not going 12'? Going 12' and wished they had gone 15'?

String density: Assuming primary viewing will be on the other side of the street (~40 feet) on a 180 tree, number of strands and spacing is my big question. This is where 75% of the cost is going to come in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigrednole View Post
    I am in planning stages only so far. That means there is a lot that can change or be updated before I even make a first purchase. My street has 2 sidewalks: my side 12-18 feet and unrealistic) and the other side of the street (~40 feet and much better for viewing the house). I am trying to get a few initial things answered or at least to do more research.

Height Questions: Did anyone go with 10' and be upset for not going 12'? Going 12' and wished they had gone 15'?

String density: Assuming primary viewing will be on the other side of the street (~40 feet) on a 180 tree, number of strands and spacing is my big question. This is where 75% of the cost is going to come in.
    Our tree is somewhere around 17-18 feet. ASAP pole is up to around 16 and there's a 2 ft star on top of that. We are doing a 180 degree tree with 16 strands of 100 pixels at 1.5" spacing. Our diameter is 8 feet across at the base, and it's about 40 feet off the street. This was our first year doing anything, and if I had to do it again I would probably do the same specs, but with 24 strands just because the view coming up the street from one side kind of needs the extra strips. In front of the house or coming from the opposite direction down the street is fine.

Given the distance on your side of the street to your proposed location, I would go for more density. At 1.5" spacing ours is just about right, but I'd love 1" spacing between pixels. I would definitely do 24 strands in your situation, but I would also do smaller spacing than 2" between pixels if it were me at that distance. I'm not sure where your numbers are coming from, though, as 2" spacing on a 12 foot tree would only need around 100 pixels per strand, if that, and you're saying 3600 for a 24 strand tree. You said 6 foot diameter, but did you actually mean radius?

Post Thanks / Like

My pixel tree was 13 feet but it had 18 strings which made it look better. I also ran my pixels at 25%. Pixel trees at 100% look like a big glob of lights with no single color being distinguishable. I found at 25% it was more pleasing to the viewers eyes and didn't distract ftom other props. Mine was 180 tree with 6 foot base.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Our tree is somewhere around 17-18 feet. ASAP pole is up to around 16 and there's a 2 ft star on top of that. We are doing a 180 degree tree with 16 strands of 100 pixels at 1.5" spacing. Our diameter is 8 feet across at the base, and it's about 40 feet off the street. This was our first year doing anything, and if I had to do it again I would probably do the same specs, but with 24 strands just because the view coming up the street from one side kind of needs the extra strips. In front of the house or coming from the opposite direction down the street is fine.

Given the distance on your side of the street to your proposed location, I would go for more density. At 1.5" spacing ours is just about right, but I'd love 1" spacing between pixels. I would definitely do 24 strands in your situation, but I would also do smaller spacing than 2" between pixels if it were me at that distance. I'm not sure where your numbers are coming from, though, as 2" spacing on a 12 foot tree would only need around 100 pixels per strand, if that, and you're saying 3600 for a 24 strand tree. You said 6 foot diameter, but did you actually mean radius?
    I am using the Mega Tree Estimator. It is telling me the number of lights for the specs. That is why I am asking because my count seems to be different than what people have in reality. Just with general stats put in:

12', 180 degree, 2" spacing, 24 strands, it says there are 1,728 lights required
    Last edited by bigrednole; 12-14-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am using the Mega Tree Estimator. It is telling me the number of lights for the specs. That is why I am asking because my count seems to be different than what people have in reality. Just with general stats put in:

12', 180 degree, 2" spacing, 24 strands, it says there are 1,728 lights required
    That's 72 pixels per strand. If you're doing a 6 ft base that's probably about right, as that's not super wide. If you can afford it, I would do 1" spacing, or 1.5" at the most. That's what I would do if it were going where you say it is. I know you say it's 40 feet away from the opposite side of the road, but a lot of folks will be viewing it from your side of the road, and 2" spacing will be a lot. Mine is at 40 ft away from the street, and I'd like a bit more density than the 1.5" that I used for ours. Then again we only have 16 strands on our 180, so yours being 24 would definitely help.

Post Thanks / Like

That's My TREE!
    I have about 60 feet to road from tree. My first year I had 24x60 @3", so about 15' tall. Then I shortened to 24x50 @3" at about 12'. I had a 8' base.
    This year I kept the height and went every 2" - 24x74 @2" and redid my base to 6' Pics and text look good IMO. I have Boscoyo 36" 6 ring star on top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    That's 72 pixels per strand. If you're doing a 6 ft base that's probably about right, as that's not super wide. If you can afford it, I would do 1" spacing, or 1.5" at the most. That's what I would do if it were going where you say it is. I know you say it's 40 feet away from the opposite side of the road, but a lot of folks will be viewing it from your side of the road, and 2" spacing will be a lot. Mine is at 40 ft away from the street, and I'd like a bit more density than the 1.5" that I used for ours. Then again we only have 16 strands on our 180, so yours being 24 would definitely help.
    I honestly don't think people would view it from my side of the street. The face of my house alone is quite large from my sidewalk. When I look at just my windows, I only look from my sidewalk to make sure they are going on. I go to the other side of the street to actually watch it. Viewing on my side of the street is impractical in my opinion. This is why I am asking for information and opinions while I plan this whole thing out. I will get more precise measurements from where I plan to put it and the viewing distance from both sides of the street.

As for spacing, I have 2" spacing on my window frames. From my sidewalk, those are very close together. You can tell there is a space if the lights are stationary but if the sequence is motion, it is rather smooth without noticing the spacing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast