Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does master/slave mode mean I can't also control an e682 from the switch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does master/slave mode mean I can't also control an e682 from the switch

If it were me, I'd set it up in bridge mode and just use the icicle FPP like any other controller. But for you, you're probably better off running it in remote mode and maintaining a copy of your sequences on it. Icicles typically have a high pixel count, so it's best for most people to keep that sACN data off the WiFi.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does master/slave mode mean I can't also control an e682 from the switch

bwinter....FPP used to have a function to copy sequences to remotes. I think it was on the multisync page. I'm not seeing that anymore in the current version. Did they move it somewhere else?

Also, remember, not everyone uses xLights, and even among those that do, not everyone uses it to manage their hardware setup.

Post Thanks / Like

the copy function is on the same page but is part of advanced sub functionality

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    bwinter....FPP used to have a function to copy sequences to remotes. I think it was on the multisync page. I'm not seeing that anymore in the current version. Did they move it somewhere else?

Also, remember, not everyone uses xLights, and even among those that do, not everyone uses it to manage their hardware setup.
    Recent xLights uses FPP to do a spare upload to all the necessary remotes (with a single click). Last couple years, xLights would easily upload the full .fseq to each Pi. But even before then (3+ years ago), it was a trivial task to copy the fseq files into a handful of Pis. Are you claiming this is a complicated process for Vixen?

Also, I don't use xLights to manage my hardware set-up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Yeah, it exists--but I've never needed to use it. xLights makes it pretty easy to push updates out, without needing to do this within FPP. It's good that it exists (as there are legitimate uses for it).

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is quite accurate. Xlights users have the built in utility that can send the sequences directly right? It's really not a matter of "this is the right way". There's no such thing really. Too many variables. Jon's setup considerations are highly dependent on having the ability to output via Vixen because of the work he does. I will say though that running the show off vixen scheduler to so many wifi boards, I have been experiencing some significant pauses or random lag, despite using a standalone router for the show. Honestly, I think both softwares are outstanding, truly. For me, the sequencing style of Vixen is familiar because it reminds me so much of other software for audio and video editing. I would love if Vixen could get a taste of the 3d mapping at some point though lol. Clearly!....nerd at heart here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    I think that is quite accurate. Xlights users have the built in utility that can send the sequences directly right? It's really not a matter of "this is the right way". There's no such thing really. Too many variables. Jon's setup considerations are highly dependent on having the ability to output via Vixen because of the work he does. I will say though that running the show off vixen scheduler to so many wifi boards, I have been experiencing some significant pauses or random lag, despite using a standalone router for the show. Honestly, I think both softwares are outstanding, truly. For me, the sequencing style of Vixen is familiar because it reminds me so much of other software for audio and video editing. I would love if Vixen could get a taste of the 3d mapping at some point though lol. Clearly!....nerd at heart here
    Yeah, it's really unfortunate that you've had to buy a separate standalone router for this process--and yet are still struggling with lag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Am I blind? I'm not seeing it

Screenshot 2020-12-12 190651.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    Recent xLights uses FPP to do a spare upload to all the necessary remotes (with a single click). Last couple years, xLights would easily upload the full .fseq to each Pi. But even before then (3+ years ago), it was a trivial task to copy the fseq files into a handful of Pis. Are you claiming this is a complicated process for Vixen?

Also, I don't use xLights to manage my hardware set-up.
    Vixen doesn't really have any process that automates the transfer of files to FPP. The closest we come is using the FPP's samba share as a UNC path in the vixen export. So that when it exports, it writes it directly to the FPP over the network rather than to a local drive. But that only transfers it to the one FPP you specify. There's no copy to all FPPs functionality.

It's really just a matter of copying the files over to the FPPs after you've exported them from Vixen. So I guess you can say it's trivial. But it does mean remembering to do it to each one every time you make a new sequence or make an adjustment to one and need to reexport.

We actually have our own version of sparse sequences. We were actually doing that before FPP added special support for it. In our method, we just export different parts of the profile to different FSEQ files. Since we don't use channel numbers in Vixen, the FSEQ spare mode implementation that eventually came around didn't really apply to Vixen setups anyhow. Our bulk exporter can save multiple export configurations so you could create a config for each FPP and run it once with each config. But you still have to invoke the exporter once per configuration. We never rolled out a way to batch the batches.

Post Thanks / Like

Vixen doesn't really have any process that automates the transfer of files to FPP. The closest we come is using the FPP's samba share as a UNC path in the vixen export. So that when it exports, it writes it directly to the FPP over the network rather than to a local drive. But that only transfers it to the one FPP you specify. There's no copy to all FPPs functionality.

It's really just a matter of copying the files over to the FPPs after you've exported them from Vixen. So I guess you can say it's trivial. But it does mean remembering to do it to each one every time you make a new sequence or make an adjustment to one and need to reexport.

We actually have our own version of sparse sequences. We were actually doing that before FPP added special support for it. In our method, we just export different parts of the profile to different FSEQ files. Since we don't use channel numbers in Vixen, the FSEQ spare mode implementation that eventually came around didn't really apply to Vixen setups anyhow. Our bulk exporter can save multiple export configurations so you could create a config for each FPP and run it once with each config. But you still have to invoke the exporter once per configuration. We never rolled out a way to batch the batches.
    Bummer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast