Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does master/slave mode mean I can't also control an e682 from the switch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does master/slave mode mean I can't also control an e682 from the switch

In essence, you can remove your vixen PC from the show network and plug in the fpp. Next, that FPP (or any or all of the FPPs in your show) can send E1.31 data to any device on your network (that means your ESPs). For those who want to conserve network bandwidth (and keep lag at a minimum) you have FPPs output data ment for controllers that are (from a network point of view) close to the FPP generating data. NOTE:Every FPP (Master or slave) can be used to generate E1.31 data streams and all of them can be doing it at the same time.

WARNING: A controller MUST be receiving data from only one source (aka FPP). If multiple FPPs are generating E1.31 data streams then each of those streams should be going to unique controllers.

So, yes you can have a master FPP and many slave FPPs sending E1.31 data to controllers at the same time. I do suggest that only one of the FPPs (your choice which) is set up to generate the E1.31 data streams going to the ESPs (easier to troubleshoot when something goes wrong).

In my show I have a master FPP that drives my House F16 and generates audio for the radio transmitter. A second FPP (the rest are in slave mode) is located near my Middle yard controller and generates the data for that controller and has an USB Serial output driving a renard 64Xc. Then there is an FPP at the street that drives the f16 located there and drives my tune to sign on a pixel pi hat from ronp. There is one more FPP located inside the house to control the indoor lights on the front window.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does master/slave mode mean I can't also control an e682 from the switch

And thereís all the technical answers lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Everything about your setup sounds right. A Pi is just a computer, and FPP is just an application. Don't let that trip you up. In normal standalone mode or master mode, FPP does the same thing as vixen with regard to sending out show data over the network.

You didn't mention why your icicles "require a Pi Zero"

The difference between standalone mode and master mode is that in master mode, it will also send multisync info out onto the network to provide a time reference and what's playing. This enables units in remote mode to use the multisync data to tell it what to do rather than it's own playlist.

Bridge mode makes the FPP work more like a controller. This is typically used when you want to control hardware that's directly connected to the Pi. panel capes and pixel output capes are a good example. In bridge mode, you have to set up inputs as well as outputs. This is just like a falcon controller, or a sandevices controller. You tell it which sACN universes to listen to, and how to map them to output channels.

Depending on your answer to the icicle question, (and maybe regardless of that answer) you could use either remote mode, or bridge mode to control the icicles.

The difference between remote mode and bridge mode is that in remote mode, the remote has a copy of your sequences loaded to it. Often a different version of the sequence with only the relevant channel data. It uses the channel data in the local file to feed the outputs. Bridge mode gets it channel data from the inputs that in turn come from another Pi, or even sent directly from Vixen or some other sequencer. The benefit of remote mode is that it uses a lot less network bandwidth. The cons are that it only works with FPP masters, and you need to manage those other sequence versions and distribute the right copy to the right pi. The benefit to bridge mode is that it works with any player and with a single version of the sequence. It could be just fine depending on your needs for keeping network bandwidth low. It's usually irrelevant on wired networks, but it could help a lot over WiFi.

If you have ANY pi's running remote mode, one (and only one) FPP needs to be in master mode.
    Thanks for the thorough response Jon. The icicles required the pi because bwinter built the board that way. I had been planning on trying to rig up either one pixel pop and then bridge data out from icicle 4 to data in on icicle 5 (he put 4 icicles per bank, but they are controlled by seperate pins on the pi zero w) but had a setback trying that. I considered hooking up two pixel pops to the board, one for each bank, but at that point, I knew I was going to be probably switching to fpp, so I just said screw it! I'll order the pi zero w and use it as originally designed. I didn't realize that the sync packets in master mode were in addition. The way it was written sounded like it just sent the sync packets from master, and every controller would have a slave with the sequences on it in that mode. But it sounds like your saying otherwise

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So based on that you can choose to run the icicle board in either remote or bridge mode. The question comes down what's the higher priority to you, WiFi bandwidth and managing sequences, or ease of operation and just use the bandwidth. Bwinter usually leans toward the former. I usually lean toward the latter. I do that because my network is thoroughly optimized and runs very well. And I don't get excited by the idea of propagating copies of sequences to multiple devices. Remote mode also prevents you from running the lights on that remote from Vixen, which I do extensively for testing. So if you ever want to drive those icicles from Vixen directly, you'll want to choose bridge mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post

Hey Wilmar that is really cool! And excellent job! I did into the unknown as well, but I did the movie version with the actual character singing for the kids. I really dig your take on it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post

Hmmm. Seems I've seen that Happy Holidays somewhere.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So based on that you can choose to run the icicle board in either remote or bridge mode. The question comes down what's the higher priority to you, WiFi bandwidth and managing sequences, or ease of operation and just use the bandwidth. Bwinter usually leans toward the former. I usually lean toward the latter. I do that because my network is thoroughly optimized and runs very well. And I don't get excited by the idea of propagating copies of sequences to multiple devices. Remote mode also prevents you from running the lights on that remote from Vixen, which I do extensively for testing. So if you ever want to drive those icicles from Vixen directly, you'll want to choose bridge mode.
    Hey Jon, I realize full well that your focus is Vixen on here, but thanks for the info about this. If I could ask you or anybody for that matter one more kind of important question which I didn't even think of until I was trying to set this up (never gone near fpp before this). Running in master/slave, with the icicles board having a pi zero w attached to it, how exactly do I set the outputs for that? Because everything else is e1.31 output setup as configured in vixen. For the icicles with the pi zero fpp in slave connected directly to the board remotely, I am assuming I would setup those outputs as pi pixel strings as they are driven from the pi directly in this case. I wasn't entirely sure how to set which gpio pin it outputs to in pi pixel strings. It may actually be a non issue, because I noted that clicking that tab opens a page with two outputs automatically, so then it's just a case of setting the channels like the rest of the setup.

Also, I've been assuming I'm using unicast for this setup in general. With master/slave, I guess it uses multicast and just knows or figures out where to send what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Hey Wilmar that is really cool! And excellent job! I did into the unknown as well, but I did the movie version with the actual character singing for the kids. I really dig your take on it
    Itís not my version but the xlights around the world version Iím no good yet

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that's a very accurate representation of how i prioritize my setup. My highest priority is 'easy of operation' (and reliability). Also, I spend zero time 'propagating copies of sequences to multiple devices,' as this is all managed (automatically) by uploading the sparse sequences from xLights. I also spend very little time fussing with optimizing my network--I'm simply using my generic home-router (nothing beyond what the cable-company provided).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Thanks for the thorough response Jon. The icicles required the pi because bwinter built the board that way. I had been planning on trying to rig up either one pixel pop and then bridge data out from icicle 4 to data in on icicle 5 (he put 4 icicles per bank, but they are controlled by seperate pins on the pi zero w) but had a setback trying that. I considered hooking up two pixel pops to the board, one for each bank, but at that point, I knew I was going to be probably switching to fpp, so I just said screw it! I'll order the pi zero w and use it as originally designed. I didn't realize that the sync packets in master mode were in addition. The way it was written sounded like it just sent the sync packets from master, and every controller would have a slave with the sequences on it in that mode. But it sounds like your saying otherwise

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
    I really think you're heading down the wrong path here (and making this MUCH more complicated than necessary).

Yes, the each controller will have the sequence on it, and the master just sends the sync-packet.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast