Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does master/slave mode mean I can't also control an e682 from the switch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does master/slave mode mean I can't also control an e682 from the switch

My setup is 1 wired e682 and about 6 wifi "pixel pops/sticks" style controllers. I was using vixen scheduler, but just about to try and switch to fpp. I had been thinking, I would connect the fpp to the dedicated show router wired ethernet, and then connect the e682 with ethernet to the same router. The thinking being that the ras pi fpp would be able to run the e682 wired, while also broadcasting via wifi on the router to the wifi boards. One of my props, icicles, required a pi zero w connected to it's board running fpp. I assumed in this case I would just use master/remote mode. As I was looking into that though, the diagrams from the manual only show wifi connections for the master/remote setup, and mention having a ras pi/fpp at every remote controller. Also, it sounds like it's a wholly different operation since it's just sending sync packets rather than the content directly if I understand. Can anybody clear this up for me? I'm literally waiting to go connect it outside for some wisdom from you guys lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does master/slave mode mean I can't also control an e682 from the switch

Master is if you have more than one pi . I have 3 pi and f16v3 and various other controllers . Master runs everything the 2 piís in remote are kept in sync by master.
    As for router. And WiFi Iím not sure I. Use an umbiquity nano and edge router x to network it all together for both wired and my wireless pixel pops .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does master/slave mode mean I can't also control an e682 from the switch

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post
    Master is if you have more than one pi . I have 3 pi and f16v3 and various other controllers . Master runs everything the 2 piís in remote are kept in sync by master.
    As for router. And WiFi Iím not sure I. Use an umbiquity nano and edge router x to network it all together for both wired and my wireless pixel pops .

I have 2 pi. One was going to run everything, and the other is on a PCB just a pi zero w. But I also have the WiFi controllers running most of the show. Are you saying you had the wired controller without a slave pi attached being controlled by the master pi on your network?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes my master pi is wired to switch then my controllers are wired into same network switch and my remote pis are also wired into same network. All Ethernet connected except for the pixel pops.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 pi in remote mode run a projector and other runs a tv both as virtual matrix.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post
    Yes my master pi is wired to switch then my controllers are wired into same network switch and my remote pis are also wired into same network. All Ethernet connected except for the pixel pops.

Okay perfect... So. You have all that wired, and then the pixel pops? Do they just connect to the router?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have them set up to the same network the nano is the wireless access point. So not sure how a regular router set up would be .

Post Thanks / Like

Iím guessing basicly the same

Post Thanks / Like

Everything about your setup sounds right. A Pi is just a computer, and FPP is just an application. Don't let that trip you up. In normal standalone mode or master mode, FPP does the same thing as vixen with regard to sending out show data over the network.

You didn't mention why your icicles "require a Pi Zero"

The difference between standalone mode and master mode is that in master mode, it will also send multisync info out onto the network to provide a time reference and what's playing. This enables units in remote mode to use the multisync data to tell it what to do rather than it's own playlist.

Bridge mode makes the FPP work more like a controller. This is typically used when you want to control hardware that's directly connected to the Pi. panel capes and pixel output capes are a good example. In bridge mode, you have to set up inputs as well as outputs. This is just like a falcon controller, or a sandevices controller. You tell it which sACN universes to listen to, and how to map them to output channels.

Depending on your answer to the icicle question, (and maybe regardless of that answer) you could use either remote mode, or bridge mode to control the icicles.

The difference between remote mode and bridge mode is that in remote mode, the remote has a copy of your sequences loaded to it. Often a different version of the sequence with only the relevant channel data. It uses the channel data in the local file to feed the outputs. Bridge mode gets it channel data from the inputs that in turn come from another Pi, or even sent directly from Vixen or some other sequencer. The benefit of remote mode is that it uses a lot less network bandwidth. The cons are that it only works with FPP masters, and you need to manage those other sequence versions and distribute the right copy to the right pi. The benefit to bridge mode is that it works with any player and with a single version of the sequence. It could be just fine depending on your needs for keeping network bandwidth low. It's usually irrelevant on wired networks, but it could help a lot over WiFi.

If you have ANY pi's running remote mode, one (and only one) FPP needs to be in master mode.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast