Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current cheap transmitter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Current cheap transmitter

I got the "DSP PLL" one from Amazon. When it works, it does so very well. However, I am trying to use the USB mode where it appears as a sound device to the Raspberry Pi. This seems to work perfectly, as long as you "hotplug" the transmitter to the Pi when the Pi is already booted. If I reboot or power cycle the Pi with the device connected it fails to appear as a sound device to FPP. Confirmed with "lsusb" at the linux command line that the device is missing. If I hotplug the transmitter again, it continues to work perfectly until the next reboot.

The most obvious workaround is just to use a 3.5mm cable to feed the audio to the transmitter and just use the USB for power. But I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to make the device be detected from a cold boot?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfunk138 View Post
    The most obvious workaround is just to use a 3.5mm cable to feed the audio to the transmitter and just use the USB for power. But I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to make the device be detected from a cold boot?
    I use a SoundBlaster Play3 connected to my RPi via USB, then connect to my DSP PLL using the 3.5mm cable. I have no issues with connecting and it also give FAR Superior sound quality. I have followed the recommendations of Jason Rasmussen from the Virtual Christmas Summit from last summer to Transmit your Audio over FM
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

I use this with my Pi running FPP. I love it and it has RDS!
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/1958
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spankyty View Post
    What kind of range do you get from this transmitter? The specs only say 30'.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spankyty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    I use a SoundBlaster Play3 connected to my RPi via USB, then connect to my DSP PLL using the 3.5mm cable. I have no issues with connecting and it also give FAR Superior sound quality. I have followed the recommendations of Jason Rasmussen from the Virtual Christmas Summit from last summer to Transmit your Audio over FM
    I'd love to use that one but I haven't done the research on how to hook it up to my system. I've got some time...maybe I'll look into it. Doesn't Dan Kulp offer a very similar board that uses the same chip?

I do the same - power is supplied using an old smartphone charger (micro-USB). Again, I slapped an RF choke on the power cable to eliminate the noise that may be present on the DC voltage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    What kind of range do you get from this transmitter? The specs only say 30'.
    Oh right, I am on a residential block. I have a 2ft RC car antenna connected to it. LOL
    It dies out quickly after I say 100ft. But depending on the car I used, I could get up to ~225ft. (I used maps to help me measure the distance don't know how accurate it is.)
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    I'd love to use that one but I haven't done the research on how to hook it up to my system. I've got some time...maybe I'll look into it. Doesn't Dan Kulp offer a very similar board that uses the same chip?

I do the same - power is supplied using an old smartphone charger (micro-USB). Again, I slapped an RF choke on the power cable to eliminate the noise that may be present on the DC voltage.
    I don't know about dan kulps, interested though.
    If you are using a pi, it's simple.
    Add this plugin https://github.com/ShadowLight8/Si4713_FM_RDS then connect the wires like this:
    Pin 3 (SDA1) -> SDA
    Pin 4 (+5v) -> Vin
    Pin 5 (SCL1) -> SCL
    Pin 6 (GND) -> GND
    Pin 7 (GPIO4) -> RST
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    Doesn't Dan Kulp offer a very similar board that uses the same chip?
    My understanding is that https://kulplights.com/product/fm-transmitter-si4713/ is an open source version of the Adafruit device (all Adafruit stuff is open source). If you compare pix, you see similar layout with very slight differences caused by the selection of the specific components. Pick either; they will work the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12