Thread: Bad Pixel Triage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Pixel Triage

Hi all,

I have a single strand where the last 5 or 6 pixels and doing wacky things and stay on after the sequence runs. I'm guessing there is a bad pixel that is the cause but before I go replacing them, is there any other recommended triage steps? Everything looks fine in xLights in terms of set up and channel assignment.

I was thinking that at a minimum I should connect the strand to my pixel tester to see if these same pixels go rogue from a different data and power source.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bad Pixel Triage

Tim,

I think you are on the right track, maybe first if your controller has a "test" mode, run that and see if they exhibit the same behavior in test mode, run a alternating color sequence or something like that and if they still show the same issue or are still a little "whacky" if so then maybe hook them up to a different controller and see what you get there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I test using a known data pattern. Then replace the Last working and first non working pixels. It is not worth the time to try and figure out which of the two is the issue.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I test using a known data pattern. Then replace the Last working and first non working pixels. It is not worth the time to try and figure out which of the two is the issue.
    If it is a 50 pixel strand and let's say the last working pixel is 45, would you simply replace 44 and 45 or 44 all the way to the end? Trying to figure out if 47-50 are bad too. Probably not but better to play it conservative I guess and replace from the last working on.

Post Thanks / Like

"last working pixel is 45" I would replace 45 and 46

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q