Thread: Alphapix 4 Strange Issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alphapix 4 Strange Issues

I have an alphapix 4 that is part of a show with two other controllers (advatek 16 port controllers). My First advatek is on Universes 2-17 me second is Universes 20-35 and my Alphapix starts on Universe 40 (output 1). This is where it gets interesting. All of my other controllers seem to be working fine and outputting as they should. On the Alphapix on channel 1 I have it set Universe 40 and 510 Pixels, it is running a 420 pixel matrix (with power injection) output 2 is set to universe 43 170 pixels, output 3 is universe 44 170 pixels and output 4 is universe 45 170 pixels. With it setup this way I get half or so of the pixels in the matrix to show and nothing on channels 2-4 will play, even though the rest of the show is playing properly. If I factory reset the controller and keep the DMX universe numbering the same however set the pixel count to 170 on each channel, I of course only see 170 on my matrix but the other channels start working as they should.

This seems like something firmware related to me but I am reaching out to see if I have missed something obvious here.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am sure like so many others I tam trying to get my show launched this year.

Thank you ahead of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Alphapix 4 Strange Issues

Post a picture of your setup screen. Your explanation is good but maybe we will see something on the screen shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Thanks for the response. I have attached screen shots of all of my controllers so you can see the "whole picture". Thanks again for looking at this I certainly hope it is just something I overlooked or misunderstood.
    Advatek - Yard Controller.jpg
    Advatek House Controller.jpg
    Alphapix Garage Controller - 1st half screen.jpg
    Alphapix Garage Controller - 2nd half screen.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Why set it for 510 pixels if you are only driving 420?

Also, what program are you using to drive the matrix?

It very well could be how you have them patched in the software and it could also be the mismatch between 510 and 420.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried changing it to 420 as well...to no avail. I number them that way out of habbit so I know I am taking up all the available space in the universes that are assigned...it also helps me later on down the road if I add something to a port/model on the end I know as long as I am within e.g 170 I don't have to make any changes on the controller side. I know there could be some efficiencies to be gained by numbering it exact but my show is not large enough for that I don't think.

I am using xlights to sequence in and FPP is running the show, however using output to lights directly from xlights yields the same results as when running it from FPP. I have attached a screen shot of how the model is built in xlights
    XLights-Matrix.png

Post Thanks / Like

I would put my money on the setup in FPP and xlights. Sounds like a patching issue.

Do all of the pixels in the matrix light up when using the test mode on the alphapix? Just hold down the M button and it should go into test mode.

I use all alphapix controllers for my display, I have 8-9 so I am pretty familiar.

You’re welcome to call me to if you want I can PM you my number.

Post Thanks / Like

I may take you up on that phone call this is driving me nuts

They do all light and run a test sequence when I go into test mode. I have been doing that from the web interface by going to Test Mode Config and changing mode to say like RGB Cycle and then Test Configuration on and I am also selecting "Configured Lights" instead of all...it runs and then I turn test configuration off but the light stay lit but not running the sequence any more, if I set them back to black of course they turn off this is what was leading me to believe it was a controller issue as well if I run a test and turn off the test and then reboot the controller the lights connected to 2,3,4 turn on blue, these are HC pixels so from what I understand that is saying they didn't receive data from the controller. This is what started leading me down a controller issue. One other test I may run is I can reach my house controller with one or two if these strands I may configure a port there with the same DMZ Universe and see what happens with that

Post Thanks / Like

The pixels will stay lit after test mode until they receive new data. Pretty common.

I am still putting my money on the universe setup in either xlights or FPP. I am not as familiar with xlights as I am a vixen user, but will be willing to help as much as I can, I have been in your shoes on the brink of insanity prior to getting the show up. I PM'd my number to you, feel free to call