Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Artnet support in Vixen..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Artnet support in Vixen..

Does it seem viable to be able to run art-net out of vixen?
    [B][FONT=Arial]stell[COLOR="#FF0000"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="#008000"]s[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000CD"]c[/COLOR]apes[/FONT][/B] - LED lighting solutions for the Prosumer, Commercial and Entertainment Industries.
    Doing pixels first since 2009 with [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAt6A98lXQw"]just another megatree.[/URL]
    Follow us on Facebook at [url]www.facebook.com/stellascapes[/url]
    web: [url]www.stellascapes.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Artnet support in Vixen..

I assume you mean Arcnet? It should be possible to write a driver to do so - be along the lines of writing one for CAN or TCP/IP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phenagan View Post
    I assume you mean Arcnet? It should be possible to write a driver to do so - be along the lines of writing one for CAN or TCP/IP.
    No, I'm pretty sure that he means ArtNet. It is a way of sending DMX over TCP/IP
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Artnet support would be great, if there will be Artnet support I will upgrade my Enttec USB OpenDMX with an Enttec ODE.

There is some info and a SDK available at http://www.artisticlicence.com/dwnart.htm.

Some links on the page are broken but the SDK in the download link makes a lot good (I think)
    [ [B] Dutch [/B] Vixen User]

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly mean Artnet.
    [B][FONT=Arial]stell[COLOR="#FF0000"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="#008000"]s[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000CD"]c[/COLOR]apes[/FONT][/B] - LED lighting solutions for the Prosumer, Commercial and Entertainment Industries.
    Doing pixels first since 2009 with [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAt6A98lXQw"]just another megatree.[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting app! You can tell the automation guy - I'm used to working with Arcnet!

Looks like it'd be fairly straight forward - they have a C++ SDK for this on their website at http://www.artisticlicence.com/index...product_id=351 under DMX-Workshop on the Support tab. Haven't looked further than that, but looks like they're giving away the tools you need to make it happen.

Central (like the actual center) PA , USA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phenagan View Post
    Interesting app! You can tell the automation guy - I'm used to working with Arcnet!

Looks like it'd be fairly straight forward - they have a C++ SDK for this on their website at http://www.artisticlicence.com/index...product_id=351 under DMX-Workshop on the Support tab. Haven't looked further than that, but looks like they're giving away the tools you need to make it happen.
    I always though the application of light control would work pretty well under arcnet.

On the topic of this thread, there was an article in circuit cellar in August about a DMX Ethernet bridge project. I think it is mentioned here http://www.circuitcellar.com/wiznet/winners/001162.html , abstract here http://www.circuitcellar.com/wiznet/...2_abstract.pdf

Not exactly the topic but close.

Tony M.
    Last edited by A Marchini; 12-16-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, those that don't and some who know Gray encoding.

Post Thanks / Like

I spent the week throwing some code together (on a parallax propeller) with the intention of creating a proof of concept for an opensource ArtNet Dimmer/DMX node. Last night I got the code functional enough to control a DMX dimmer pack via ArtNet (using DMX Workshop). Success!

While what I have right now isn't finished, its a strong start. So the big question is, is anyone interested in creating a Vixen ArtNet II driver?
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBen View Post
    I spent the week throwing some code together (on a parallax propeller) with the intention of creating a proof of concept for an opensource ArtNet Dimmer/DMX node. Last night I got the code functional enough to control a DMX dimmer pack via ArtNet (using DMX Workshop). Success!

While what I have right now isn't finished, its a strong start. So the big question is, is anyone interested in creating a Vixen ArtNet II driver?
    Nice Ben.. I've been messing with the LLA ( Linux Lighting Architecture ) porting it to run under open-wrt.. Making some progress.. Its a bit clunky.. still need a usb dongle plugged into it... Which prop are you using?

As for needing a Vixen Artnet driver, that need for me has somewhat dissapeared as i'm building my shows using Quartz Composer ( mac ), which now has an art-net plug in.. However it would no doubt be really useful for others.. Ideally i'd like to use both.. Quartz is good for some stuff, but not very good for other stuff. I could run them together.

Ball part what do you think your nodes are worth ( parts etc ).. An affordable ( and practical ) Artnet node could revolutise DIY christmas shows.. Everyone has ( well almost ) ethernet on their pcs these days.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to go too far off course since this is a plugin thread but...

There is only one Propeller made by Parallax. I opted to go that route due to its multiprocessors (8 in all) and speed...in addition its considered a hobbyiest level chip so anyone can learn it and modify the code. Further there is no special programming hardware, just a serial connection.

I'm still in the mock up stages so I haven't calculated cost. At the moment I'm using a Prop ($7), EEProm (.25), WizNet 812 ($16), 75176 (.25). In the end a straight DMX node shouldn't be very expensive. I'm also considering making a dimmer/node, which does both dimming and act as a node using the Helix dimmer code.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast